You can type here any text you want

Front cam bearing wear

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pablo

Had to pull my fresh build out of the car due to a head gasket failure. I decided to just throw new main and rod bearings in it to be on the safe side.
I found what seems to be significant front cam bearing wear. As you can see from the picture there is a ridge in the center of the bearing that corresponds to the groove in the front cam journal. The wear is limited to the lower half of the bearing. I know that an HV oil pump accelerates front cam bearing wear but is this amount normal for about 1000 miles of use or is this the result of coolant in my oil for a brief period of time?
Is this something that I need to rectify or can I slap the cam back in and call it good? The oil pressure was excellent even with coolant in the oil right before I pulled the engine.
All thoughts are appreciated.
IMG_0584.jpg

I did some research and decided to replace the front bearing.

FWIW for future searches, the bearing in the picture is not installed in the optimal position. It should be clocked so the hole is more in line with (or just ahead of) the radial load placed on the camshaft because of the oil pump.

I should also be using a thinner oil, especially with an HV pump (which incidentally is not needed or recommended, I just ended up with one because I was in a rush to get this road worthy)

Had the same thing years ago. Been using Dura-Bond coated bearings ever since... no more problems. I've also moved back to stock style front covers

Back