You can type here any text you want

Front Coil Springs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

incharge

Can anyone tell me what end of the spring I should cut a coil off of top or Bottom ?? does the bottom have a double row of springs and the top has one? Also does the top have to be set in a certain way?? :confused:

Dont mean to barge in here with another question but is it easier to cut the springs to get a lowering kit effect? How much do you cut?

springs

I will let you know when I finish installing mine I cut 1 coil off and I am hoping to lower the car 1 1/2. :cool:

Cutting the springs might not be a good idea.

I think if u cut one full coil out u are weakening the spring to a point that will effect the ride quality. I dont think the companies that make lowering springs just make a shorter spring. They have to be able to carry the load first. If anything I would get a heavier spring, like a V8 spring from a 307 powered olds gbody and cut that. It will be a trial and error thing, unless someone has already done it and knows. Good luck anyway please post ur results.

cut coils...

I have lowered several trucks ( more than 10) by cutting the springs. If you cut one coil, it won't affect your ride too much, anything more than that and it will ride like a go-kart. One coil on a chevy s-10 is about 1.5 inches and the suspensions are very close. The springs on the front of these cars are not progressive, so cutting one coil off will not weaken the spring. It is a straight coil, equally spaced. On a progressive spring, the end coils are closer together and as a load is applied, they contact each other causing them to stiffen and resist compression. It doesn't matter which end you cut as the springs are consistent all the way through. Use a cutting wheel, do not use a torch and take your time as heat build up with crystallize the steel and make it brittle. I do highly recommend if the rubber cushions are missing or damaged to replace them and hold them in place with some electrical tape. If you forget to put them back in, your car will squeek like a buggy. you may need to trim your bumpstop down a little bit and sometimes the swaybar linkage has to be modified, but for 1.5 inches, should be okay.

springs

deputydawg said:
I have lowered several trucks ( more than 10) by cutting the springs. If you cut one coil, it won't affect your ride too much, anything more than that and it will ride like a go-kart. One coil on a chevy s-10 is about 1.5 inches and the suspensions are very close. The springs on the front of these cars are not progressive, so cutting one coil off will not weaken the spring. It is a straight coil, equally spaced. On a progressive spring, the end coils are closer together and as a load is applied, they contact each other causing them to stiffen and resist compression. It doesn't matter which end you cut as the springs are consistent all the way through. Use a cutting wheel, do not use a torch and take your time as heat build up with crystallize the steel and make it brittle. I do highly recommend if the rubber cushions are missing or damaged to replace them and hold them in place with some electrical tape. If you forget to put them back in, your car will squeek like a buggy. you may need to trim your bumpstop down a little bit and sometimes the swaybar linkage has to be modified, but for 1.5 inches, should be okay.

Thanks for all the help I will let you know how it turns out...

Back