front cover

87TIGN

Death by boost
Help! One of the bolts on the inside of where the oil filter attaches is stripped out on my front cover. What should I do? Drill our to the next size and re-thread? Or buy a new front cover? kinda broke so any suggestions to save my current one would be great thanks!
-Andrew

Ok so I was thinking about it and what if I do this. Drill out the hole to the smallest bit possible that I can get it all cleaned out. Take a piece of mild steel and turn it on a lathe to a thousandth bigger than the hole, than press that piece in there and drill it out and tap it? I know aluminum and steel are different metals but it shouldnt matter that much in a small instance like that should it? The only thing I would have to be sure of is that when I drill out the piece I press in there is enough to thread without it all falling apart. Any thoughts?
Or I could try to drill all the way through the hole and put a nut on the other end of the bolt and just silicone it so it dosent leak? I dunno Im just tryin to steer clear of spending more oney but if you guys think I need to lemme know. If i have to I will.
-Andrew

stripped hole

sounds like a lot of work to me.
what about checking at your local hardware store for slightly larger diameter self-tapping screw? if you can use one, make sure you clean any metal shavings/dust out very thoroughly. if that doesn't work ....... i've got a decent used front cover you can have for the cost of shipping it.
just let me know if you want it.
bw jones

...i had a few spots on my front cover that were stripped...my vote is for heli coil...the kit will have the proper size bit the heli coil and the installer ...just loc tite the heli coil when you insert it and you should be fine and still get to use the stock size bolt.

Got the heli-coil in and seems to be ok. Havent put it together yet but tested with a screw and it worked great! Thnaks again guys

sounds like a lot of work to me.
what about checking at your local hardware store for slightly larger diameter self-tapping screw? if you can use one, make sure you clean any metal shavings/dust out very thoroughly. if that doesn't work ....... i've got a decent used front cover you can have for the cost of shipping it.
just let me know if you want it.
bw jones

Thank you so much B.W. I appreciate it. If for some reason it dosent work I will PM you.
-Andrew