You can type here any text you want

Front of throttle body all black

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

Just a quick question, i took off the intake piping and i noticed that infront of the throttle blade i have alot of black oily residue, but behind the blade, it is fairly clean in comparison.

I have a 70mm throttle body, an RJC valve in it. The only thing i can think of is since i don't have a windage tray in the intake valley, i am still getting some sloshing of oil into the RJS valve.

Any ideas or comments?

Adrian

My stock turbo was leaving oil residue in the up tube and on my throttle blade. My propeller had play in it and my oil seal was bad. You May want to check that first.

It is a brand new turbo, so i think this is not the case, but i will entertain the idea.

Anyone else?

Thanks

Adrian

Brand new as in you just put it on? If so then it was your old turbo. Just clean the TB and proceed.

No No, new as in with the entire combo. I will start with just cleaning it all out and seeing what happends from there. I might have been from when i still had the factory PCV in it, but i somwhow doubt that there would be a small dot of oil still remaining at the bottom of the throttle body after driving it for 60 miles after changing it to a RJC valve.

Adrian

Did you leave the stock PCV on it with the RJC valve, because i've read u are supposed to use the RJC vavlve in line with the stocker which is what could be causing problems.

The RJC valve does not prevent oil from being ingested. It keep pressure from entering the crank case under boost.

Oil gets sucked through the pcv when in vacuum. Mostly under deceleration when vacuum drops way down. It's like a shop vac. No way around it. A catch can will work but it's only a band aid to the problem. No valley pan will definitely magnify the situation.

Any reason your not using a valley pan gasket?

RL

Hmmm that makes more sence. when i went to install the intake, (champion billet, not the factory ported) i used the falpro 1400 series gaskets, i tried to cut the valley pan so that it would still sit in the valley,but it looked dodgy to me and i thought it would let go and fall down into the valley over time, thus i didn't install it.

I have to pull the heads off so i will be putting one back in this time...inever knew that there was that much oil that was thrown around in the valley pan.

I do run a LT1 vacumm pump but it it only on during boost, and i mainly run it to keep the crankcase boost down and avoid leaking gaskets everywhere.

If i only run a RJC valve and a windage tray will it help alot, or should i also put the PCV inline ( i really don't want to do that though)

Adrian

The PCV meters flow and prevents back pressure on it's own. There is no need for the RJC valve if the PCV is in good working order. Running without the PCV may contribute to the problem by letting to much volume through. It may not be metered/calibrated the same.

Ultimately the pressure control circuit needs to be calibrated for just enough flow to eat crank case emission when in normal operation. Problem is new motors/combos produce more vacuum than they originally did from in factory form. More regulation is needed to control the problem.

You can get creative with ways of regulating flow.

HTH

Happy Turkey Day!!

RL

Our pcv is designed to be used as a replacement not inline with a factory unit. the problem with the new factory units now is that most of them leak boost pressure. i think they are not manufactured in the same location as they used to be in the good old days and the quality is poor. Our PCV actually flows a little more than some of the stock units. A few people put our unit in and since the BLMs are not exactly the same as what they were when they took out their old one they thing something is wrong and take it out instantly. The reason for the BLM modifiers is to adjust for differences in all of the variables that can happen in the motor resulting in different vacuum amounts and different throttle closed position etc. You must give it time for it to adjust. It will adjust. it just takes a little time.

Now for answering the question on this post. You MUST run a valley pan in these motors if you want to run a PCV. This does not have anything to do with what style or brand of PCV you are running. if you want to use the Felpro style head only gaskets that is fine. just cut the valley off of an old pan gasket leaving about 1/16" above where it snaps in of the port surface to hold the gasket in place and you are set. it is very simple and works great.

hope this helps

Thank you very much for the clarification Jason, I will be pulling the heads soon, so this is something i will surely do as well.

Adrian

Our pcv is designed to be used as a replacement not inline with a factory unit. the problem with the new factory units now is that most of them leak boost pressure. i think they are not manufactured in the same location as they used to be in the good old days and the quality is poor. Our PCV actually flows a little more than some of the stock units. A few people put our unit in and since the BLMs are not exactly the same as what they were when they took out their old one they thing something is wrong and take it out instantly. The reason for the BLM modifiers is to adjust for differences in all of the variables that can happen in the motor resulting in different vacuum amounts and different throttle closed position etc. You must give it time for it to adjust. It will adjust. it just takes a little time.

Now for answering the question on this post. You MUST run a valley pan in these motors if you want to run a PCV. This does not have anything to do with what style or brand of PCV you are running. if you want to use the Felpro style head only gaskets that is fine. just cut the valley off of an old pan gasket leaving about 1/16" above where it snaps in of the port surface to hold the gasket in place and you are set. it is very simple and works great.

hope this helps

Hello Jason,

I was thinking of a different valve then the one advertised on RJC site. Must be Kiban's or someone else I was thinking. Sorry to misinform.

The subject has been beaten to death. Most are running a valley pan style gasket and still consume oil through the pcv. Including myself. My catch can fills in a few hundred miles. Volume would seem to be the problem....Letting more through magnifies the situation. When to much volume is allowed, it sucks oil. Newer combo's pulling more vacuum does not help. My car can pull more than -20in of vacuum in some situations.

IMO Further restriction is needed to remedy the situation. A specially calibrated valve could to be developed around this. (hint, hint) It would have a couple positive effects. Less un metered air along with less oil consumption..

Sounds like a winner. :biggrin:

RL

Back