You can type here any text you want

front/rear bumper covers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chicagoTTA

Crack Baby
Okay, finally a non tech question.

My front and rear bumper covers are a little lighter than the rest of the car. Noticable.

They were NOT a re-paint, but really seem to stand out a little.

I looked at a bunch ot TTA's before I bought this one. Never noticed any others with this.

Do any of you have similar (original) cars paint-wise?

Reason I'm asking is, my dumb-a$$ barely scraped a high parking block. Enough to make my neuotic a$$ nuts. Wanna re-paint.

Do I match the lighter color? Or, do I do BOTH bumper covers to match the car??

I'll pay $$$$$ to get it done right, take them both off... do underneath the front as well... etc.

Just not sure what to do.

Thanks! (and please kick me square in the stones for F-ing up the car)

Our low mile (7K) car did not match that well (possible due to the fact it is plastic, the rear wing also was off a little) It was garage kept all its life. We repainted the 60K cars covers and wing to match the car...still brought 16K$ when we sold it...I am a fan of making it fit the 5% rule... I.E. only change 5% from the original or make sure what you change only 5% of the know it all's will notice! Either way you still have a desirable car. Just my opinion!

Good luck
Reed

You will find there is always a slight difference in the color shade on any plastic bits as they use a softener in the paint to paint these parts. Just had my TTA repainted and I have the same issue on that one and the paint came out of the same can. I see this on new cars as well over here (Jaguars etc) as soon as it's plastic there is a slight difference.

Kinda what I figured, but I've never seen it on any of the 10 or so TTA's I looked at when I bought this one.

Thanks all!

Both of my low milage TTA s have this problem. It is more noticable on the Festival car rather than the Hardtop. The main part of the car was painted on the Assembly line by GM. The bumper parts and rear spoiler were painted by a subcontractor and delivered to GM for assembly on the cars further down the line from the paint process.

The other issue is GM was using Water based paints and was just getting into painting base coat/ clear coat. The early clear coats used when painting the cars does not hold up (even on cars which are garaged most the time) and yellows a little bit.

I have decided not to repaint to keep the originality of my cars intact. If the cars had higher mileage I would repaint all of it to match. :)

- Dave

Back