Front Sway Bar Removal

1of1547

Village Idiot!!!
I am taking my front sway bar off of my Regal. I got the end links and three of the bolts out of the mounts. The drivers side front bolt has a nut on the backside. I don't see anyway of getting it off. Any ideas?

You must be saying you can't get a socket or wrench on it because there is no room next to the saddle. Just beat the saddle in with a hammer or chisel to accomodate a socket to remove the fastener. If you decide to put the sway bar back on at some point in the future, you'll be buying new urethane stuff that comes with new saddles.

Or, forget all that........cut if off!;)

Hey hangten how are you doing? I have two buddies that own TR's in that area. One works in Eldersburg. The problem is that there is a nut on the inside of the frame rail. When you try to spin the bolt the nut just spins inside too. I didn't know if it was supposed to be welded to the frame or if there is a trick to get it off. I guess I will drill a hole in the frame to get to it. I hate to do it. But you have to do what you have to do. It right behind the steering box.

Before you cut the frame, try to torch the bolt off. If that does not work try a Sawz-all (reciprocating saw) or try using an air chisel. Good luck, you'll need it. ERIC.

Originally posted by 1of1547
The problem is that there is a nut on the inside of the frame rail. When you try to spin the bolt the nut just spins inside too. I didn't know if it was supposed to be welded to the frame or if there is a trick to get it off. I guess I will drill a hole in the frame to get to it. I hate to do it. But you have to do what you have to do. It right behind the steering box.

Someone has obviously stripped that bolt hole in the frame before because the factory used self threading bolts. Are you sure you can't get at it somehow? Someone was able to put in on there... maybe there's a hole in the frame if you drop the power steering box? I dunno, just a thought...

Torch or cut the bolt off, then go to the next larger size and tap the hole larger.

Thanks guys, I just wanted to see if they were supposed to have a nut on them. I have no idea how they got it on there. I will chop the head off and find a self tapping screw. Or get a tap and run some threads in it. I will figure it out this weekend.

Sway bar removal

I removed my front sway bar and ended up stripping out the holes. I thought I could improve my 60ft. Big mistake!!! I pulled 1.72s with it on. The car handles like total crap, not fun to drive on the street. I bought a welder to beef up the holes. and retap them. Plus I need the welder for other projects around the house.:rolleyes: