Fuel pump install

Larry Smith

Getting ready to install my new Walbro pump and hot wire this weekend. After looking at the tank I have a couple of questions. The fuel pump lines are hard lines and there isn't room to see how they connect to the pump with the tank in place. What is the correct procedure? drop the front of the tank down a little to get access to remove the lines? What kind of fittings are they and what tools do I need? Any other tips are appreciated.
Larry

Well, there are lots of tips and tricks, but let me help get you to the point where the gas tank is out.

Drain the tank via the fuel rail. The less gas, the safer. The less gas, the lighter. Gas weighs about 6 pounds per gallon. Wrestling with a half full tank is a bad deal.

Disconnect the battery.

Unplug the fuel pump connector (can't miss it) at the rear of the vehicle.

Remove the gas tank filler cap (i.e. behind your license plate).

There are 3 hard lines - supply, return, and vent.

There are 2 sets of 3 hoses each for the 3 hard lines at the rear of the vehicle, one above the gas tank (which you can't see or access while the tank is in place) and one under a heat shield in front of the tank.

Remove the heat shield, loosen the hoses where they connect to the hard lines at the rear and voila! The hoses can be stuborn. I like to twist them back and forth a little with a spark plug wire puller.

A little gas will probably dribble out, so don't do this work with a hot exhaust, or a drop cord, or a ???. Don't give your eyes a bath. Keep a good sized rag handy. In short, don't set yourself on fire.

Now, you should be able to remove the gas tank straps and drop the tank out, being especially careful that you don't mess up the bumper filler panel with the gas tank neck. Having an extra set of hands to help you manage the tank and filler neck as you carefully drop it is not the world's worst idea.

Drop the whole darn tank, straps, insulators, lines, and hoses out and admire your floor pan.

This isn't a difficult job but again, having a buddy helps. If that buddy has done it before and is a good "technician", all the better.

:)

Not hard to do at all, just read the above post and you will be allright, he outlines it well, Ron