You can type here any text you want

Fuel pump priming?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbotrix2004

Hey guys quick question, when my key is in the on position the fuel pump continues to run consistently. Is ithat normal?? Only reason why I ask is that I noticed on my other vehicles the pump would prime and then shutdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not supposed to run constantly when key is turned on. It sounds like the oil pressure switch may be stuck closed or someone tied the fuel pump wires together on the oil pressure switch.

Ok where is the switch located?

The switch is located under the turbo. It's screwed into a fitting that is screwed into the side of the block that also feeds oil to the turbo. Some people remove the switch and put an oil pressure sensor in it's place to feed a gauge. The wire is usually left hanging there or some cut the connector off and tie the wires together.

The ECM commands the pump to run for two seconds at KOEO. After the engine starts OR the oil pressure comes up to 4PSI (the light goes out), the car takes over and keeps it running.

If you have a homemade hotwire kit and the relay is triggers by IGN instead of the tap behind the alternator, that can happen. On my car it caused it to 'flood' and not crank until I moved it to the correct location.

Well I checked today and the switch? is there and plugged into the one connector. Where else can this be hooked up? The Hotwire kit was already on the car when I got it

If the relay is on the front of the car it should be triggered by a plug behind the alternator.

If the relay is on the rear next to the tank, it'll be triggered by the factory power wire (doubtful on a homemade kit)

Back