You can type here any text you want

Fuel pump questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qwksht

This is my first gn,so please bear with me...LOL...I have some questions about the fuel system...I bought the car with a spun bearing,the motor is out and at the machine shop,just going through the car and noticed there is a black holley external fuel pump mounted in front of the tank on the bottom of the undercarriage and there is a pump in the tank also(not sure which one,stock or aftermarket),any reason for two pumps and how does the external one work?Cant be on all the time,can it?I dont see any switches or controls to turn it on.Should i drop the tank and install a walbro 340 and do away with the external pump?Any help would be great.

Thats what..

This is my first gn,so please bear with me...LOL...I have some questions about the fuel system...I bought the car with a spun bearing,the motor is out and at the machine shop,just going through the car and noticed there is a black holley external fuel pump mounted in front of the tank on the bottom of the undercarriage and there is a pump in the tank also(not sure which one,stock or aftermarket),any reason for two pumps and how does the external one work?Cant be on all the time,can it?I dont see any switches or controls to turn it on.Should i drop the tank and install a walbro 340 and do away with the external pump?Any help would be great.

I'd do. You make no mention of what you intend to do w/ the car, so unless you are going for BIG HP, the 340 will do just fine.
Be sure to install a hotwire kit, when you do the pump.
I'm not a fan of pusher/puller combos, as the push pump, [in tank] may not keep up w/ the puller, [Holley], and vice versa. This combo can also cause big problems if/when one of the pumps fails...:eek:
Be sure the grounds in the cars electrical system are clean, tight, and the power to the pump is real close to batt volts.:wink: With the engine out, now would be a good time to clean up the fuseable links at the starter, add a ground stretcher kit, and generally inspect the elec system. Purchase of a good scan tool, and some gauges should be a priority.

Just my $.02.. real world experience may be different:D

I'd do. You make no mention of what you intend to do w/ the car, so unless you are going for BIG HP, the 340 will do just fine.
Be sure to install a hotwire kit, when you do the pump.
I'm not a fan of pusher/puller combos, as the push pump, [in tank] may not keep up w/ the puller, [Holley], and vice versa. This combo can also cause big problems if/when one of the pumps fails...:eek:
Be sure the grounds in the cars electrical system are clean, tight, and the power to the pump is real close to batt volts.:wink: With the engine out, now would be a good time to clean up the fuseable links at the starter, add a ground stretcher kit, and generally inspect the elec system. Purchase of a good scan tool, and some gauges should be a priority.

Just my $.02.. real world experience may be different:D

Sorry,I probabaly should have said,I am trying to make it a high 10 second low 11 second street car,I just bought the car with a spun #1 rod bearing,and i have the motor at the machine shop/builders, we are using a eagle forged crank,eagle rods,diamond pistons,hyd.roller, the motor already had arp studded mains,heads,roller shaft rockers,precision front mount intercooler,not really sure of the turbo,no numbers on it,but the exhaust housing says ar/60 on it,Im told by others it is a 62-64??It is a lot larger than the stock turbo,and has a gold billet plate on the back side of the turbo housing.....Dont know.....Has aftermarket gauges,gonna buy a scanmaster next,I have to change some more stuff,probably injectors,chip?Car has uppers,lowers,air bags,MT 275/60/15 drag radials on welds,art carr trans and small converter,not sure of the stall,I got the car from a guy who bought the car from someone who was down on his... luck/money ...for such a cheap price that the guy wont talk to him any more and wont tell anybody anything about the car!!So,with the help of you guys,i am starting to figure alot of it out.I am basicly gonna keep going till everything ends up new or aftermarket!!Tommorrow night the gas tank and pumps are coming out,I think i am gonna order a walbro 340 with the hotwire kit,Anyone have any other pump suggestions? Thanks!!:confused:

Back