You can type here any text you want

Fuel Pump wont turn on

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rbarragan

Hello guys I am new on here but not new to the turbo buick world. Have owned a 1987 Buick Grand National for a while now and just purchased a 1987turbo t. When I bought it, it would sputter on but quickly turn off. Well I brought it home yeaterday and checked the fuse for it first before starting anything. I pulled out the fuse and checked the continuaty and it was good. Went to start it again and started put died and the fuel pump would not even make a priming noise same as before. Had a Walbro pump with a hot wire kit new and installed it. Still nothing. Connected the old fuel pump straight to the battery and it ran no issues. HMM :nope: So i decided to replace the fuse nothing as well still cant get the pump to run. I also changed the relay with the one from my grand national and still nothing. I changed the conputer out with the one from my grand national nothing. I checked the orange wire from the ECM going to battery and its connected. Also checked the Oil Pressure sensor to see if it was corroded or loose and its tight on the sensor. Also tried jumping the pump with the test jumper on the back of the alternator and nothing pump did not come on. My question is, is there anything else that I can try or check to see that is wrong?

Unplug the fuel realy and check for power with key on. If I remember correctly, the green and black is the signal from the ecm. That pulls the relay in. The pink and black is the switched power that feeds the pump.

If your getting power, you can jump the circuit to force the pump on. If the pump still does not toggle then you have a problem further down the line.

does it have a hotwire kit on it ?
check the hot wire fuse , if good check the relay at the rear of car

for a test you can disconnect the hotwire at the tank and plug the factory end back to the tank end and apply power under the hood to the fuel prime wire (you can plug the hood lamp wire into it ) . the prime wire doesnt have anything to do with the ecm factory fuel relay or the oil sender . it should run , if not theres an issue in the tank

Yes it has the hot-wire kit on it. The relay and fuse are brand new and I have checked them. The reason I put it on was because the pump was not coming on and if I was gonna replace the pump might as well upgrade it.

-

Just an idea - you might have a kill switch for your pump but if not make sure that when you turn the ignition on the hot side of the relay it switches on ..

Back