Furniture legs on wood floors - best protection?

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
I'm installing laminate wood floors. Now I need to put something under the furniture legs to keep them from scratching or sliding easily. My couches and sitting chairs need to be stable when sitting down yet be able to slide for cleaning underneath. Dining chairs need to slide regularly. Tables and hutches need to simply remain in place with infrequent movement for cleaning. Anyone used anything that doesn't mark the floors even when unmoved for extended periods of time? I found some sites touting felt, polyurethane, carpet-based, etc. Just looking for successful experiences.

Had the same problem with our newly finished hardwood floors. Got some nail on heavy duty felt pads and they have worked out great. Just remove the nail on nylon pads you probably have on now and replace with these. So far so good after a year and no scratched floors. They come in all different sizes too. Got mine from Home Depot.

Perfect, felt it is. Thanks! I just don't want to go sliding when I flop down on the couch.

Originally posted by John Larkin
Perfect, felt it is. Thanks! I just don't want to go sliding when I flop down on the couch.

As long as you don't do a running leap, you should be fine.:D

I put felt under my chairs in the kitchen. Under my couches, I went to Home Depot and in the carpet section, they have no slip mats that go under your throw rugs so they don't slip around. I cut little squares of that material and put it under my couches. Voila! ;)

Under my entertainment centers, I put those nylon pads called "Magic Sliders" so I can easily movr the heavy stuff to get behind and clean.

:)

The magic sliders are awesome. Stuck them to the bottom of my 32" tv. Saved the wood shelf in the tv armoir and makes the tv easy to position.

For the furniture, I second the felt. Keep those little sticky felt circles around, it's nice to stick on cabinet doors, drawers etc to keep them from banging around too. They used to make little coaster looking things with felt bottoms to put under furniture legs. I guess they still do.
Like Racer X mentioned, those tool box no slip mats are cheap enough to cut up and use, or the kitchen cabinet shelf lining (same stuff).

Just remembered I had those magic sliders under my humungo entertainment center. They are coming in handy tonite as I am finally getting around to installing my surround sound speakers. Can't cheat with the speaker wires with hardwood floors. Moved out the entertainment center fully loaded with TV, etc with no effort at all.

Another good trick when you need to move a heavy piece of furniture for cleaning or whatever: Slip old towels underneath it and slide across the floor on the towels. Works great, no scratching!

We had solid oak flooring for 18 years and had all our furniture setting on furniture cups that were lined with felt and had non-slip rubberized surfaces. They kept the furniture from slipping all over the floor. Mark

I think if I slipped dollar bills under the legs, my wife would get around to cleaning more often. Last night she asked what was on TV; I said "Dust!"