You can type here any text you want

FYI: WinBin 1.4 checksum issue

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tminer

Not quite normal
I have been using WinBin 1.4 and it's 148.ecu file just to do checksums. The ecu file needs to have the checkSumStartAddr parm set to 2 (I think that it was set to 4). Since locations x2 & x3 are normally 0 it worked fine until I tried to checksum chips with fast update code patches that change location x2. Unfortunately, the only error indicator was the rapidly flashing SES lamp (and probably a Malf code).

Tom

Tom, why use 1.4 instead of 1.6, the latest version? Second, who's ecu file are you using? The one I put up at the gmecm web site, or someone else's (I want to make sure mine is okay; it sure works for me)?

It was in the CAB. I don't remember where I got it (author's site?) and the 148.ecu is very incomplete. I only use it for checksum (not much else works for the 148 anyway).

Tom

Tom, first, I'm sorry, 0.0.14 is the latest WinBin, not .16 - senior moment :-). Second, looks like www.diy-efi.org is down just now so since you can't get to the gmecm ftp site I put my .ecu file up here: http://members.verizon.net/~carl.ijames/cfi7148stock.ecu.txt You need to trim the .txt extension after you save the text (I didn't want to figure out how to make it ftpable and this works :-)). This has most of the needed stuff for tuning, some extraneous stuff you won't need, is missing a few things that need to be added, has maybe 1/3 of the eprom data locations defined, and no errors that I'm aware of. Third, Eric doesn't seem to be developing WinBin anymore but Mark Mansour is working on a new program GMECM Edit which is already more capable than WinBin. Get it at www.markmansour.com Enjoy (or ignore :-)).

Good info and thanks. I just use HexEdit 2.0, which is a generic hex based editor, but others may benefit. Yea, I'm a programmer trying to learn to tune. I sometimes feel sorry for my poor motor:( .

Tom

Carl, thanks for the tip. Like Tom, I'm used to the Hex Editor and don't normally "think ouside the box".

A better link to use to get to Mark's editor is:
http://gmecmedit.markmansur.com

Shucks, I think I'm gonna give this new fangled, graphed up windows thing a try. Wish me luck.

Back