You can type here any text you want

Torque converter ticking?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mnt86SS

Just recently my 87 GN has developed a ticking sound. At first it gave me a minor heart attack, as it sounded like valvetrain noise, but lower in the engine bay. After throwing it on the lift and running it, it's definitely coming from the converter / flexplate area.

I disconnected the converter and started the car, and no more ticking.

So before I rip the trans out, I'm wondering if this is a converter issue or a trans pump issue? I was having problems with the converter not wanting to unlock at low speeds, even after replacing the TCC valve. And as I spin the converter while it's disconnected, I can hear a faint clicking noise.

The current combo on the car is:
TA49 Turbo
50lb injectors
Turbo tweek chip set for 16lbs on 93
LT1 Maf and translator
Front mount intercooler
No cat
3 inch downpipe with external Turbonetics wastegate
Walbro 255 with hotwire kit

Basically the usual GN bolt on stuff. The torque converter is stock. Supposedly the trans was rebuilt before I got it, but assuming it wasn't, the car has 83k miles on it.

What do you guys think?

My car developed a tick in the same area. I did the exact same thing. When I went to hook the converter back up my crankshaft went clunking forward. I threw a indicator on the front balancer and saw .038" endplay. I hope yours is something easy and not this but with the converter disconnected try prying the crankshaft back and forth.

You might have a cracked flywheel .only way to find out is drop the transmission.

Back