You can type here any text you want

G body Frames

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

EGOKILR

Dont Worry, Be Happy.
My buddy has a 82 cutlass stripped down frame, and ready to be primed and painted. It is my understanding that all G Body frames are all the same. I wanted to do a frame off and do all new bushings and brakes lines etc....
My frame is is rusty and needs a lot off work just for those wanting to know.
Are all G Body frames the same from the factory or is an El Camino frame different from a Monte Carlo G Body frame?

close.. but no they arent all the same

try mounting a 200-4r crossmember to a non turbo frame
the driverside crossmember mounting pad is not on anything but turbo SH frames

You will need something like this to mount a 200 4R in a 82 G-body frame. This is from http://www.crossmembers.com

FE100 Frame Extension (above) is for 1978 thru 1983 G-Body cars that will retrofit a 200R4 or TH400 trans. It adds the second set of crossmember mounting holes to the driver side frame rail in the same location as the 1984 thru 1988 G-Body cars.

If you have a 1978 thru 1983 G-Body and want to put in a 200R4, TH400 OR T-56 transmission, this part is required. If you have a 1984 thru 1988 G-Body the FE100 is not required for any transmission……$59.00

what you can do is remove the driverside mtg flange from your turbo frame and weld it to the older frame
its pretty flimsy steel about 5Inches wide and spans the upper and lower frame rail ends

Thanks guys, its always something that will not bolt right up

Now I will have to figure out if I will just look for another frame or just get the old mtg flange as pacecarta stated. The guy I am getting it from is a welding guru, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone know if the frames are stronger for the G body Turbobuick, or is just the mounting bracket different.

Thanks you guys for all the helpful info.

its just the bracket for the 200 thats different

only other difference in the frame setups that make it an SH turbo regal frame is the spring rates ,shock rates , the fuel line/vent routing and that the swaybars would be installed

COPIED FROM CROSSMEMBER SITE

If you have a 1978 thru 1983 G-Body and want to put in a 200R4, TH400 OR T-56 transmission, this part is required. If you have a 1984 thru 1988 G-Body the FE100 is not required for any transmission……$59.00

this is true but not correct , you can use the std trans crossmember to run a 2004r or a 400 using a std 350 style trans mount (even the $20 energy susp poly part will work )
but the frame will not accept a turbo 2004r crossmember and without that crossmember you wont be able to to use the 200-4r style trans mount or exhaust hanger (not the end of the world :) )

frame

I just finished my frame so here is what I found out. The regal frame has two places on frame rail to mount the crossmember ,the rear holes for the 200r4 . Now my new frame that I put in is from a monte carlo ss it is different on the drivers side.The monte carlo has the same rear hole for the crossmember like the regal frame but doesnt have the two front holes that I did not need since I am going with the 200r4 trans.The regal frame is cut out from factory to make installing 350 trans crossmember easier.The regal`s had alot of different engines and trans combos thus the cut out. Please make sure the donor frame is not bent as my was and had two do this twice!!!

Back