You can type here any text you want

Gas in oil ???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chicagoTTA

Crack Baby
Hey all!

In the process of changing my oil. Two issues.

First, can anyone send me the engineer who put the oil filter under all that shiznit? Had to use a ouiji board, my best zen master technique, and the jawz-of-life to get that f**ker out. I'd like to modify his facial structure a little bit.

Second, and seriously now. My oil smells a bit like gas. I'm not a seasond mechanic (all though I'm pretty good), and have never come across this before. Is it possible that some gas got in? It's not TOTALLY overwhelming of a smell, but it certainly smells noticably like gas without having to stick my face in it. I noticed it the second I started unscrewing the filter.

????

What should I look for (if anything) ?

Originally posted by chicagoTTA
Hey all!

In the process of changing my oil. Two issues.

First, can anyone send me the engineer who put the oil filter under all that shiznit? Had to use a ouiji board, my best zen master technique, and the jawz-of-life to get that f**ker out. I'd like to modify his facial structure a little bit.

Amen to that brother!

Same thing here this week

I've read about a gas smell while changing oil, but not experienced it before this oil change. I've been tuning lately, with O-2 voltage in the 780-850 mv range.

I'm going to take Razor's advice and change the oil and filter every thousand miles from now on.

lee :)

Pull the dipstick out and put a match to it.... If it lites on fire you have problems (bearings). If it doesent and you had the oil in the motor for a couple thousand miles then should be ok.

The latter would be gas getting past the rings at higher boost levels or your rings are getting old. Do a leakdown test and make sure everything is up to par. Autozone sells the kit for like $20.00
follow directions and your readings on each cylinder should be within like 5% of the sum of all cylinders.

HTH
Bo

Well I change oil when the dipstick I pull out is dirty. If its honey colored it stays in there. Once it changes color.. its gone.

I have seen your condition from a car with a vacuum leak exibiting a high BLM condition at idle. See when the computer sense a lean condition, it goes and adds fuel to compensate. This added fuel a lot of times goes down past the rings as washdown. And breaksdown the oil even more so. I have also seen the condition with the opposite, whereby a bad injector was dropping to much fuel into a cylinder and cuasing a low BL condition.

So my question to you.. with your car idling... whats the blm number at? If its 124-132 you have no worries. If its 150 or 105.. you have issues. And having a chip that drops a lot of fuel into the motor can also do this at wide open throttle..

It goes back to tune tune tune...

HTH

Thanks y'all. I'm gonna have to hook up my laptop and get some readings I spose eh?

I'll post my results.

UGH.

Razor,

I looked at a dozen of my Turbolink recordings for BLM numbers. They range from 127 to 141 in closed loop idle. Most of the time BLM is high 130's....My Translator and extender lock the BLM at 128 during WOT. Not many miles on the car last year, its mostly idle every week or two to keep seals moist.

Will BLM in the high 130's at closed loop idle cause the ECM to compensate enough to cause a gas smell in the oil?

I'll take a butane torch and search for a vacuum leak again this week. No vacuum leaks a year ago :)

Thanks for the heads up Razor :cool:

lee

Didn't mean to misquote you about oil change intervals Razor....A well respected member of the board, maybe it was Bruce, made the comment about 1,000-mile oil changes....A routine I'm going to adopt :)

Hi,

Did you ever fix this?

I'm having the same problem oil in the gas smell.

I think its a exhaust leaking in and reporting a false lean condition.

did you find any vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks?

Back