You can type here any text you want

gas leak

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gas leak

• gas tank

Votes: 1 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

808rushem

My 87 grand national just sprung a gas leak from the o ring. Do i need to replace the whole tank, or just the o ring. Its been a ling time ive worked on these kinds of cars, & would appreciate help. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20160503_200939.jpg
    20160503_200939.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 128
Contact Highwaystars / NOS4GN and replace the tank. Not worth taking ANY chances for $200

Those O rings can swell up. I would just replace it. The OEM tanks (if yours is in good shape) are a better design than the Spectra replacements and you loose about 1.5 gallon capacity changing it.
The ethanol in modern fuels can cause the old rubber orings to expand.
BTW are you in Hawaii? (808 area code)?

Just replaced mine, would leak if i had 1/2 tank or more.
I ordered brand new one from Rock auto for 135 plus ship.

Fit great, once installed had to push on filler neck a bit to center, but no issues.

Tere is no oring there.. that filler neck is permanently mounted.

I see he typed oring and posted a pic of the filler neck.....

Thanks for the help guys. As I said earlier I'm not familiar with these type of cars now. Been over 20 years since I had a g body. Guess I'll go buy a new one. I just bought it 3 weeks ago and drove it 40 miles.

Those O rings can swell up. I would just replace it. The OEM tanks (if yours is in good shape) are a better design than the Spectra replacements and you loose about 1.5 gallon capacity changing it.
The ethanol in modern fuels can cause the old rubber orings to expand.
BTW are you in Hawaii? (808 area code)?
Yes sir.

Nice, dont forget to upgrade the entire fuel system while replacing the tank, may as well do it while you have it out.

Need a good fuel pump, new tank, hot wire kit, adjustable regular,new fuel filter, check all the lines, might need new straps for tank, new insulaters and bolts. Call Nick at Arizona GN he can fix you up with new fuel pump,the rest of things you can buy from different venders on the board here.

Need a good fuel pump, new tank, hot wire kit, adjustable regular,new fuel filter, check all the lines, might need new straps for tank, new insulaters and bolts. Call Nick at Arizona GN he can fix you up with new fuel pump,the rest of things you can buy from different venders on the board here.
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll just buy it all from rock bottom

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll just buy it all from rock bottom

I was lived there for 3 yrs, I guess you are used to the crazy shipping prices...I bet that gas tank will cost over $100 to ship.

Any ideas roughly how much would it cost me with labor. My regular mechanic refused to fix it. So I'm gonna shop around

Kapahulu.
I just wiped down the area and was still leaking. Then I wiped It, drove it then nothing. Unreal.
But yeah. Kapahulu. There are 2 down my road

Back