You can type here any text you want

Gasket or liquid?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

prokeep15

I heard that its better to use a liquid copper based sealant on the headers to heads than using the gaskets available...is this true? Also where else should I use liquid based sealants instead of whatever's available?

First take a straight edge and see if your header flange is flat. If not take them to a machine shop and have them milled. Then the copper liquid will do the trick.

So why no gasket? I told my mechanic friend and he was somewhat doubtful. Also what the best technique for getting them to stick good and applying the copper? John @Johnsperformance said to apply the liquid copper in a light line around the entire surface then flip them upside down and press the header against the head, then flip back over to normal and bolt up. Also on first run isnt the rule to let the car cool down then tighten them again?

Sorry im late to respond been in indy....(great event BTW)...I dont use a gasket because over time it will blow out causing you to have to take the header off again. The copper wont do that if applied right. Johns way sounds good.

Jason

Back