Gear drive

forcefed3.8's

Buckeye Bullet
I am about to do a cam swap. I have the latest version Milidon gear drive in my box of left over parts. What is the real deal on them? Oil the idler? This is a street driven car. I dont want to worry about timing chains anymore. Modding the front cover is no problem.

I been running the same drive since 2000 and have no issues. Nothing done special. I will say that I run my bypass oil to the fuel pump block-off plate and sure it helps keep everything oiled well.
Make sure its the single bolt type and all the gears look the same. I once had a used set that was mismatched with different gears, some were pointed, others were flat on the tips.
I would also use Loctite 680 on the idler screw retention fasteners. The 680 has a far superior bond strength and service life in hot engine oil environment than regular high strength thread locker.
IIRC the easiest way to set the gear mesh clearance is to use a piece of regular paper between the gears. This seems to work really well.
AG.

Just some more info, Take care in modifying the front cover. You may find that the oil pump gear pocket will move around a little. You may need to gently ream the oil pump drive shaft bore when done welding. I used a tubular spacer on one of the cover retaining bolts to move it away from the newly formed pocket.

Buick (421).jpg
Buick (420).jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the straight forward advice. The gear drive was on the engine when I bought it. It was a fresh circle track engine. I looked into it when building it, but went with a chain. I figure this is a good time to switch.

Same here on a 4.1 on center stage 2 since 02. That motor was already set up for it so no issues there. Just triple check the clearances.

I am sure it can but it is quite expensive. I want to put the Danny Bee set up on my new race motor when it gets machined and assembled.