You can type here any text you want

Gen 7 users, I need help ve table

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Yes thats my wide band a/f. And yes that's the box the prestolite tech told me to get, I tried to call accel tech today to make sure but they were closed so I did not get it order. So I can just run the output from the wideband to my ECM? I will check the wire diagram to see where to connect it.

We should be able to set the autometer up to work directly I would have to see the instructions for it first. I have set them up with the innovate LM1 and LC1 and it'll work pretty good. It depends on the signal output and if the settings are programmable on the gauge. Call me and I will help you sort this out.

I have to agree with Norbs. It's not for the average Joe. I'm a retired electrical engineer who has done mostly mechanical engineering over a 34 year career. I've also built a dozen different bracket racing engines for my Corvette over a 25 year period. With that background and experience, I'm not average Joe. However, I've been struggling with my GEN7 for several years now. I've received some helpful advice on this forum - and most of it came from Norbs. For a guy that just wants "instant soup", Norbs MAF based "recipe" with the components that he lays out is probably the best way to get your street/strip car running well quickly. If you have a deeper engineering curiosity like I do and don't mind putting about as much study into it as getting a Phd, then go GEN7.

Regardless of which way you go, I recommend that you read Greg Banish's books: "Designing and Tuning High Performance Fuel Injection Systems" and "Engine Management Advanced Tuning". They lay out the basics of both MAP and MAF based systems. As you found out when trying to use the Accel "estimator", Accel doesn't give you anywhere close to everything that you need to know.

The GEN7 is not hard to set up for an all out race car that only sees WOT, but things like part throttle operation, fuel economy and idle quality take a lot more time to figure out.

The GEN7 is not hard to set up for an all out race car that only sees WOT, but things like part throttle operation, fuel economy and idle quality take a lot more time to figure out.

I agree and anything fine tuned will take time and dedication to get right. Even a holley carb and points distributor.

Anything aftermarket is going to take time to make work specific to what application you intend to use it with. When you take a factory pre-programed computer that had untold amount of R&D put into it to make it work in every imaginable situation it is tough to duplicate. BUT when you start modifying your engine and wanting to make more power you will spend stupid $$ trying to make a 25+ year old ECM perform anywhere near what you can do with most of today's aftermarket stuff. If you want a car the runs and drives and idles like stock......leave it stock!!!!

The Gen 7 isnt any different than any of the other aftermarket fuel mgt system out there, NONE OF THEM ARE P-N-P! What I find highly amusing about this argument is the fact that the factory programming in the 86-87 ECM is WAY more difficult to understand and written in a language that few even can comprehend. If you have a tough time with the Gen 7, I would definitely stay away from ANYTHING 2002 and newer! Try looking at some of the various flash programming software that is out for them, it is enough to make your head spin, lol.

I think an average person can use the system. I considered myself an average dude haha.
All you need is the willingness to learn and mess around with it. My friend installed his Gen 7 in an all out street car. With him driving and me sitting in the passenger seat with the lap top, it took us about 30 minutes of cruising to get it deadnuts. I had the highway cruise silky smooth cruising at about 15;1. Take offs and part throttle were like stock. Startup was like stock. Car ran an easy low 11 sec pass with a 60 turbo. He sold the car bit kept the ecm. He then put it in a tsm type car. Pretty much the same program from the street car just ran deep into the 9s last night. We got the correction at less than 1% and the car doesn't miss a beat.
I learned mostly by opening up random tables and changing them around and make a mental note of what happened. Also the original instructions I think do a decent job of breaking down what each table does.
I had a chance a few months ago to trade my gen7 for an xfi but declined because I've grew to really like it. I used to curse at it first but took the time to learn it and love it now. I've messed with fast, fast xfi, and a few others. I like the gen7 software layout the best of all of them. Probably because that's what I'm used to. I got it on my new street car project and am still working on the tune. Haven't had a chance for a long street drive yet but the basics are there. Got a hot start issue I'm trying to figure out where it cranks a little long but other than that its working good. Went 135 MPH so far with it.

Back