You can type here any text you want

Generic balancing Q...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

S10xGN

RETIRED!
Hi All,

If one were to lighten up the bob weights, how would this affect the crank counterweight? Add or subtract? The reason I ask is, I found a set of LS7 titanium rods that I plan on using in my L92 block build and the peeps over on LS1Tech are saying this will require Mallory slugs in the counterweights. Seems like lighter bobs would require metal removal from the crank...

TIA!

usually when you lighten the assembly it creates a semi over balance which is not that bad in my opinion but you need to check your percentages to when it was first balanced if its not stock to figure out exactly what's going on but yes lighter bob weights usually requires removal from the counter weights

These ti rods are 460 grams compared to around 650 for steel. The engine will have all new parts (except the rods), I'm just preparing for the eventuality of a balance job and what it will entail while hoping I won't need several $100 Mallory slugs...

You won't. The only time you have to make the weights heavier is when you add weight to the rotating/reciprocating mass.

Heavier counterweights are to balance out heavier rods and pistons.

You won't. The only time you have to make the weights heavier is when you add weight to the rotating/reciprocating mass.

Heavier counterweights are to balance out heavier rods and pistons.

Thanks, that was my thinking too. I'll see what transpires when I get my rotator built...

Back