getting control arms out

G

GNSCOTT

I can't beleive i can't get these damn things off. I know its easier on a lift and with air tools. On the lowers, how do you get the bolts out?? i've banged them with a hammer, but they just won't come out..any tricks????

I wish i had room to swing abigger hammer. I got the bolt flush with the arm, just can't get any leverage trying to bang a screwdriver into the hold to force i through. It woulda been easier if the bolt didn't come out inside the frame.

This may be a stupid question but you do have the springs out and there is no tension on the lower arms.They are just hanging there.If my memory is right then I think I just drove the bolts out with a punch and a hammer.

You must be talking about the rears. I just went through this Sunday, and my right rear one was stuck just like yours. I shot WD40 into it as much as possible. Then with a long extension, 18mm socket and a breakerbar, I just worked the bolt back and forth in 1" swings until it started to move (the first time, I tried to man-handle it and snapped the tip off a no-name extension I was using, DOH!). Once broken loose, then I basically unscrewed it until it felt free. It's just gonna be about 10 minutes of being methodical and taking your time working the bolt out. Then wire brush it once removed, regrease and reinstall.

yea...they are just dangling there. I'm heading to te store now to buy a punch. I have like 10 of em, but can't find one. Its gonna be the last warm day here for a littl while...Thanksfor the advice

I used a bottle jack on the side I was working on to help manuever the axle. The bolt gets stuck when the axle and control arm try to go out of alignment. If you move the axle to where it aligns again it will be much easier to take the bolt out as it won't be bearing any weight on it. Once its like that it shouldn't be to hard to pull out.

axel is out, and its still a bitch...Its been there for 15 years and it doesn't wanna leave.. I was able to bang the bolt through the first hole, but its stuck in the middle now and there is no way to grab it in the frame. I just tried for like 10 minutes with a socket :mad:

Using an air or electric impact wrench helps sometimes. Just keep spinning it, and it works it's way out farther. A long 5/16 bolt can be used as a punch too. If that doesn't do it for you, try different sockets. Sometimes different length & 6/12 point sockets will let you wedge the bolt head inside the socket & let you pull it out.

A friend pushing & pulling on the rearend can help also. A prybar helps too, just be sure you don't knock it off the stands. If you get one end off, that will allow you to move it around better. Try pulling the arm to one side, binding the bolt even more. Then hit it with the impact. Got to come out one way or another. Hope that helps.

I had to CUT them out of my Vette as the bolt itself rotted to the inner sleeve of the bushing....get a big recip saw and a special 12" blade to cut hard steel and cast iron, they come right out then! (I *will* win!) lol

lower C.A.'s

hey, i think we solved this problem! nice meeting you and THANKS for the exhaust. i think removing that exhaust helped in giving more room and working leverage. again, let me know if you need any other help as I'm in the area quite often. take care man and let me know of any other parts for sale or other.... :D

John C.
NEW!!
LedSLED Motorsports
formerly Platinum Motorsports

Hey you took my exhaust!

Shoulda told me you were coming down here today. I'm only a coupla miles away I wanted to show you some neat tires I just got. :D

Thanks gonna order a second pair of those Michelin Pilots soon.

The tread looks to be about 3/4" deep on those babies. :)

John, it was great meeting you , and you can come wrench here anytime. I deffinately think the extra room to swing the hammer with the exhaust out of there dd it. Once i startd swinging ,it took like 1 minute to get both out, now i get to do the uppers. I told you guys if ya need a garage and some help, just call and stop over. I hate working alone.