You can type here any text you want

Getting my tranny rebuilt, need advice.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Captain Mark

The shop doing the work comes highly recommeded by all my racing buddies. He has rebuilt all of their trannies, and they seem to love this guy. He builds a lot of racing trannies in the area. He is rebuilding mine currently for $1400 bucks out the door. That is new bands, servo, 10 vane pump....etc.

This is my first rebuild for the car. Does this price sound about right?

Oh yeah, he warranties the tranny for 2 years, even if you race it. That's the part I like.

Blasfamy I tell ya, how dare you bring up that subject.:eek: :D

I know there is a guy locally here that will do it for around $550 but I am not sure what all is included (Pump?) so it is kinda hard to compare.

Friend just had his 2004R out of his TTA done with some of the goodies you have mentioned. California Performance Transmission (formerly Art Carr) charged him $1500

There is a good article on the tranny section how to beef up the 2004r. You may want to do some reading.

1500 sounds about rite/average. Depends on hard parts used. And if he's doing the up-n-down on it. And converter???

Mine started out as a 550 build..and went up to 1200 by the time I added some go-fast goodies. Plus converter.. and I did my own up-n-down.

Depends..

HTH

tranny rebuild

Sounds about right. I just had mine done here in FL and it cost a bit more, but it depends on how much parts you need. Just make sure that they know the 2004r, plenty of guys who can rebuild a TH350 or a TH400, but the 2004r is a completely different beast.

Ken

Hey Mark, let me know how it turns out. My GN needs a rebuild now, and was planning to take it to Mike Kurtz down in Houston, but if this guy has done 200r's in TR and TTA's, then I would consider using a local person. As mentioned above the TR 2004r is different than other trannies, including the 2004r in the other G-bodies.

Well it looks like I will be added to the tranny list here sometime soon. Won't be able to go to the track again untill I do as it is flaring on the 1-2 shift and now the TC doesn't want to unlock when I slow down and surges when I accelerate part throttle over 50 mph.

Who want to tell my wife???:eek:

Be glad the tranny didnt break at the track.. you would never hear the end of that.. actually let her drive it then blame her :D

hehehe

Kills two birds with one stone.. one she'll never drive it again, two..you get the tranny fixed that she broke..

Ohh boy.. i'm ducking here :D

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
Hey Mark, let me know how it turns out. My GN needs a rebuild now, and was planning to take it to Mike Kurtz down in Houston, but if this guy has done 200r's in TR and TTA's, then I would consider using a local person. As mentioned above the TR 2004r is different than other trannies, including the 2004r in the other G-bodies.

Hey Rob, just got the TTA out of the shop last night. Shifts good! I didn't realize how bad the tranny was slipping until it got fixed. I not only race with the LSPBC here in Dallas, but I race with another group called Torquecentral. All those guys use the shop I just went to. Most of Torquecentral drives high hp LS-1 cars and a couple of 500 hp Ford Lightnings. They all swear by him.

Not only will he rebuild it any way you want it, he will warranty the tranny for 2 years. And he knows we are out racing! He always says, "Now try to go tear it up". Not many tranny shops will do that. He rebuilt mine for $1450.

Dave Rockwell of Rock-On Transmissions:
Cell - 940-594-8064
Shop - 940-482-7243

11555 Hwy 380 #202
Krum Texas

This is 3.5 miles west of 380 and I-35, toward Decatur.

Thanks Mark, that's not that far from me at all. I'll sure pay him a visit. I've heard him mentioned in the local f-body forums quite a bit, just hadn't heard him mentioned for the 2004r work, but with a 2 yr warranty, you can't go wrong.

Back