You can type here any text you want

Getting the rear to sit higher?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackMetal

It looks like the next set of wheels I get are going to have 10" rears and I'm gunna put some 325s back there. I'm doing it the poor man's way, no frame notch, they're just going to stick out from the wheel well...for now.

So I want to keep the fender lips from rubbing over bumps/around turns. I have all the original suspension on the car, so I'm guessing even if I threw in "stock" height replacement rear springs, my car would sit higher than it does now. But perhaps someone knows of a spring that might be a little taller? Or any other methods to achieve what I'm trying to do?

I'm going to install airbags too just to be safe...

Coils from a B-Body(Impala.LeSabre) work too. Pick some up from Grandmas old ride and they should still be soft enough and the 60 foots will still be the same. Cargo coils are just to plain stiff and succk for short times. Usually the free height is about 1 inch or more taller than a G-body.

Just Use Airbags.thats All I Do
Ditto,this is all that is needed. It's also the cheapest way to go. The fact that they're adjustable is priceless. You can't adjust springs up and down. Whith air bags you can add air to raise the rear for hauling passengers or hauling something in the trunk, and release air when the extra load is removed. Having an air bag on the passenger side is an effective way of equalizing downforce to the rear tires when drag racing.This is alot of bang for the buck.

I was under the impression that the air bags only stopped the springs from compressing past a certain point. You're telling me the more I fill the air bag I'll actually SEE the back of the car rising? As in they have an actual affect on ride height? I didn't think they did that.

Wow that's pretty cool! Like I said I only thought they were there to make sure the spring didn't compress past a certain point.

In that case it sounds like air bags will definitely do what I'm looking for. :)

Wow that's pretty cool! Like I said I only thought they were there to make sure the spring didn't compress past a certain point.

In that case it sounds like air bags will definitely do what I'm looking for. :)
They're a good adition to most any car. If you're interested in getting good traction and not having tires that stick out of your fender wells,get some Mickey Thompson Bias Ply ET Street tires. 26x11.5-15LT Summit part #MTT3753.This tire has the widest footprint you can get,in a DOT. tire, that fits inside the fender well. The problem with DOT.radials is that the sidewalls bulge out creating a wider cross section. Because of this,a radial tire with an equal foot print to the one I described above, won't fit inside the fender well.The reason this is important is because of the effect keeping the rear of the car as low as possible has on traction.It's a common practice to allow the front of the car to rise quickly and high to transfer weight to the rear of the car. You can only get the car so high before the suspention is fully extended. Keeping the rear of the car as low as possible helps to put more weight on the rear during the launch of a drag race. With the tires I mentioned you can get the car to sit at a lower ride height.This will give you the most traction to launch the car.

Interesting, I know the difference between the types of tire construction but never thought of them in terms of performance characterists. I'll keep that in mind while I shop around, but in all honestly I'm not too worried about perfect launches or 60ft times. Even though I'm shopping for drag radials I probably still won't race it this summer haha.

Interesting, I know the difference between the types of tire construction but never thought of them in terms of performance characterists. I'll keep that in mind while I shop around, but in all honestly I'm not too worried about perfect launches or 60ft times. Even though I'm shopping for drag radials I probably still won't race it this summer haha.
You'll probably like the ride of a radial better. If you're not concerned about launches,get radials.

i got pretty good 60s off of my m/t drag radials .my air bags do a good just keeping my tires,275/60/15 from rubbing

i got pretty good 60s off of my m/t drag radials .my air bags do a good just keeping my tires,275/60/15 from rubbing
You can get damned good 60 ft times with drag radials. They're wonderful,especially because of the ride quality. Since I want the best 60 ft. times possible on the street, I use the bias ply tires. I don't believe they have any better traction qualities. I use them because there sectional width is narrower,allowing them to fit inside the fender well. This allows me to keep the rear of the car as low as possible for even better wieght transfer. I also like the way this looks better than a tire that sticks out. In and of themselves,Iwould say that the drag radials are a better tire because of there improved ride quality. I think,technically,you would have to consider the drag radials to be safer.
Actually,I would say I also like the look of the bias ply tires more. I also think the radials have a very cool look.

M/T 275/60 radials. I too would like to go wider too but then my car would look fast ;)

M/T 275/60 radials. I too would like to go wider too but then my car would look fast ;)

Haha, that's pretty much the situation I'll be in. That's why I said I'm not gunna race it. :biggrin: I just got the impulse to stick some huge tires in the back, not because my car is fast enough to need them.

What do you need other than the airbags themselves to lower and raise the car? I've seen what looks like a air tank in a lot of people's trunks on this forum.

Just a quick update, installed the airbags at my buddies house tonight (after having to wait 4 extra days for Air Lift to send me the plastic baggie with all the hardware in it that was missing from my box!). Filled up the bags at the gas station, didn't really think it did much. Came home and pulled into the garage next to my dad's Buick, stepped outside to make a comparison, and it sure as hell raised the car haha. Should be plennnty of room to run my new drag radials. I have to do something about my exhaust though, I never installed tailpipes, so my mufflers are shooting right at the air bags, not good.

Bags are cool! Just do not overfill them:wink: , sounds like a 9mm going of! Should have seen the people running at the gas station when I overfilled mine!

Back