Girdle Oil Pan Studs

I had steel caps and never had an issue with oil pan studs breaking. The block was line honed with the heads on, girdle in place and shimmed .005" above the pan rail. Did not have the oil pan studs installed when line honed.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

My stock caps were machined down to use the shims that came with the girdle...

There are better ways to achieving the girdle to pan rail clearance. Its not usually equal side to side. The solution is to mill the girdle on the side thats tighter and achieve a more accurate clearance side to side. The when the girdle rail is torqued the studs are stressed equally. Also beware of any studs that may have yielded under excessive torque loads on the mock up at the machine shop or by anyone who assembled the engine. I put over 700 ft lbs to the rear wheels on the dyno at 25psi and had ho problems with broken studs. Ive had it to over 27 psi on the street. Id bet there is a slight side to side variance on the engines that broke the studs. Trans brakes or not.

There are better ways to achieving the girdle to pan rail clearance. Its not usually equal side to side. The solution is to mill the girdle on the side thats tighter and achieve a more accurate clearance side to side.

Done that ;)

Done that ;)

Maybe we should start running larger studs (3/8?) in the locations around the center mains. Wouldnt be that tough. Only thing that would suck is getting a 3/8 nut with a small enough hex to fit in the countersinks in the girdle. Drilling and tapping block, and opening up girdle holes are no problem.