You can type here any text you want

GN balancer bolt

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1badbuford

Working on 86 Ttype , had a bad oil leak and the balancer seal came off with balancer . Anyway putting back together today and need some help and advice on tightening the balancer bolt. It says 220 ft lbs on gn Ttype . Org for the torque specs. Not sure I can get it there while the motor in motor. Is in the car . Ok to tighten with an impact gun ?

Hanks in advance

whitehot1 stated in another thread: Some things you will need are a 1/2'' drive long breaker bar i use one thats 2 ft long or as mentioned an impact if you have one available. Also you will need a torque wrench the balancer bolt torque is 219 ft.lbs when you put it back together, i use a 2 ft long torque wrench to do this. The auto parts stores may loan these tools out if you don't have them and don't want to buy them.

If you do use a breaker bar to remove the balancer bolt you will need to stop the crankshaft from rotating, i clamp a set of visegrips onto the flexplate and it will wedge up against the block and stop the crankshaft from rotating while removing the bolt and also when reinstalling the bolt when you torque it down,this works great i've done it many times.

When I replaced the timing chain I removed the balancer bolt with a De Walt cordless Impact Driver.
As ek02 said, use a 1/2" drive long breaker bar, clamp vise grips onto the flexplate and it will wedge up against the block and stop the crankshaft from rotating. I wouldn't use an impact gun to tighten the balancer bolt as this might stripped the threads, and I tighten the balancer bolt to 220 ft lbs.

I run a bolt through one of the spare torque converter holes in my SFI flexplate and have it hit the oil pan rail as a motor stop then use my 2.5ft 250ft lb torque wrench to tighten it down. Helps that I did it with everything else off of the front of the motor and the radiator out though.

Back