You can type here any text you want

GN Center caps

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

meanchicken

gallo vicioso
Howdy,

I'm getting tired of these things flying off my wheels as I drive down the road. The plastic cap seperates from the metal retainer and off they go. My 4th one left me as I went around a corner a few days back. Bounced across to the oncoming traffic and got killed by a car going the opposite direction. The first 3 that fell off were the originals, but this 4th one was one I had replaced brand new about 8 months ago.

Any tricks to making these things last, or do I need to accept I'll need to replace one every few months and stock up?

A few months back, one of them just fell off my wheel while I was sitting at a red light....that was stupid.:redface: I'm sitting there with my game face on waiting for a green light then I hear it bounce off my right rear wheel as it fell off and then it rolled around until I got out, jogged over and picked it up.

I had to go a burn out as I left the light just to make sure everyone knew my GN wasn't a whimp.:cool:

They rattle come loose etc.
I have gotten the 2 part lil syringe quick set epoxy for metal plastic at the parts store before and ran it on the inside on the cap to the metal ring for extra hold as the the lil tabs are much to be desired.

Carefule not to get it so much that the mating surfaces to teh lug nuts get affected.

Thanks.
I was eyeballing some epoxy, but wanted to see if any one had a known working favorite.

The caps ar edefinitely a weak design.

Use coarse snadpaper on teh insdie of teh caps to roughenthe surfces so te epoxy will grip

i put silcone but epoxy will work better its funny i had cap fall off parked in my drive way dam junks not cheap either replacing them.

You guys are referring to the stock 86-87 chrome GN wheels, not the GTA type wheels, correct?
Mine have not come off... yet!

Ttype GTA caps are easy fix just slap some tape (duct/masking/etc) on teh inside of them to the wheel for retain

Will 86 canter caps fit on the trans am/ gnx wheels cause i dont want to buy a set and then figure out they ont fit so pleasse let me know

Howdy,

I'm getting tired of these things flying off my wheels as I drive down the road. The plastic cap seperates from the metal retainer and off they go. My 4th one left me as I went around a corner a few days back. Bounced across to the oncoming traffic and got killed by a car going the opposite direction. The first 3 that fell off were the originals, but this 4th one was one I had replaced brand new about 8 months ago.

Any tricks to making these things last, or do I need to accept I'll need to replace one every few months and stock up?

A few months back, one of them just fell off my wheel while I was sitting at a red light....that was stupid.:redface: I'm sitting there with my game face on waiting for a green light then I hear it bounce off my right rear wheel as it fell off and then it rolled around until I got out, jogged over and picked it up.

I had to go a burn out as I left the light just to make sure everyone knew my GN wasn't a whimp.:cool:

LOL :D My buddy keeps saying he's going brankrupt buying center caps also. I'll pass this along to him.

Back