You can type here any text you want

GN Iroc, lets do it!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

big_buick

student of speed
I have a extra 87 GN motor complete with all brackets/asc. and motor harness/computer and a BQ trans. Locally i found a 86 Iroc 305TPI/auto. I'd like to make this happen.
I've done alot of searching but many answers seem like guessing, I could use some help from those who have a running conversion.
So far i've gotten that ill need the following

- Motor mounts- anyone used the HR poly yet?
- Custom Downpipe- pics? who made it?
- Harness, anyone spliced there own? details?
- Trans - TCI, spohn, modify stock, whose done what? is the 700r4 1st gear better or worse? driveshaft?
- a/c delete heater box
Anything else you can think of? Imagine Im in my driveway and covered in grease :D

Alot of Q's i know but im not just daydreaming i would like to do it this summer.

We are deleting the TPI on a 350 car and replacing it with a carb and intake. We tried finding a heater box without air but everycar in the junkyard had air(20-25 cars). We cut the box and boxed it in with a sheet of black plastic, almost done. I can post pictures if you want. Email me if you are interested.

You should try talking to fly89gta, I believe he completed a swap similar to yours ( but in a GTA obviously ).

Fly's swap was done with a real TTA motor! There was a complete longblock ready to go on gnttype.org for 2500. Ported heads and roller cam I believe

call steve kaminski.. he built a iroc for Jimmy dunn featured in turbo magazine and has an RS VERT over his house now that he built then was rebuilt...the vert is awsome I love buick motor in a drop top... Give him a call 856-881-3235

Ok, heater box without air... probably wont find one in a junk yard. My brother and I both swapped these on a car when we removed the A/C from our F-bodies. Mine is now gone in favor of the TTA. ;)

Anyways, look on thirdgen.org. One of the sponsors sells them and if not someone may be able to hook you up with one for a small fee.

Do not use a 700R4. The TTA has enough traction problems as it is with out the lower 1st gear, plus that wide spread before 1st and 2nd doe snot do well for maintaining boost. Depending on how much Torque you will be making depends on what kind of tranny you will need. Remember the 200R4 was available in many cars. It may be cheaper to purchase one and have it rebuilt than buying a TCI.
As far as a downpipe... well find a good exhaust shop. I am not 100% sure how the location of the Turbo on a GN motor relates to that of the TTA, but there is a company(forget their name) that makes a nice piece specific to the TTA that eliminates the converter and has a dump(around $500 if I remember correctly)

Thats all I can help you out. Its not a bad process... it cant be. Looking at my TTA, there is nothing hacked up or anythign to get it in there. Good luck.

I thought the reason our old beat up Pontiacs used the front wheel drive heads was the Buick G.N exhaust port angle was too straight (hroizontally) to allow for any exhaust manifolds to clear the strut towers. Was I under the wrong impression ??? Turbota.

Nope, it was to clear the AC and strut trowers.

Hey there is a NO AC heater box on Ebay for like $50. I saw it today, but I did not grab the link. Do a sear for 82-92 and you will eventually find it. I think it was like on page 7 of the search, but if you sort the categories by price, you might be able to find it quicker

Originally posted by Kyle F
Nope, it was to clear the AC and strut trowers.

Hey there is a NO AC heater box on Ebay for like $50. I saw it today, but I did not grab the link. Do a sear for 82-92 and you will eventually find it. I think it was like on page 7 of the search, but if you sort the categories by price, you might be able to find it quicker

Actually it has nothing to do with the strut towers. The GN heads and headers work just fine. The stock GN downpipe does not work nor does a stock TTA one.

The Different heads are to allow the use of the A/C. The GN A/C brackets will not fit in an F-body. Thats why they switched heads.

Big-Buck,
I have swaped those motors in all kinds of cars. I may not know much. But I do know Turbo Buicks, And I realy know turbo Buick swaps. I did them 1st and still am doing them. I do flawless installs from looking like they came that way from the factory to to wild custom set-ups. You got questions I got the right answers.
The heads are on the cars so the down pipe will clear.
The A/C will clear with T/A or GN heads.
I would use the 700r4. You would have a lower 1st. gear and better 60fts. 89' IROC stock motor,5 angle comp valve job,stock inj,turbo,throttle body,bonnet,intercooler etc... 11.55 W1.45 60ft.
You can call me 856-881-3235 If I'am not here leave a mesage. I will get back to you.
Or come to my shop you will see :)
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0109gmhtp_byebye/

Steve Kaminski

I don't mean to tread here or anything, but everyone knows the heads were changed for clearence with the AC box. Looking under my hood shows a close fit.
The test car made by GM required cutting of the strut tower to accomodate the Downpipe so that a drastic angle was not needed to get out of the engine bay and cause horrible spool time.

The 700R4 is a weak transmission(in stock form) The 200R4 gears do much better as well( Again tested by GM.... remember the 5-speed one was tested to)

If the 700R4 was a better choice, would GM have went through the trouble of putting in a new Crossmember and Torque arm for these cars just because the Buicks used them.... NO!

Trust me.... I have put 2 305's in the low 13s on Street tires and 700R4's. I would have given anythign to have had the 200R4 in those.

Originally posted by Mr. Tee
you are arguing with the wrong guy:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You know... I may be somewhat new to the Turbo Buick Community because I havent had the money to put a car into the 11's or 10's yet, but that is only do to lack of funds.

I however am not new to the F-body of any year. Think about it... I have put 305's into the 13's with no forced induction.... wonde what I am going to be able to do with a Turbo Buick Motor if I choose to. I just have not wanted my TTA to not look stock.

Anyways.... just because you swap a few motors and get a car in a magazine does not mean you are God and your always right about everything.

Just a simple question.... and if someone can answer this I will never mention it again.
If the 700R4 is better for these cars, why did GM go through the changes to have the 200R4 put in. I remember a long time ago, a GM engineer that worked on the vehicl stating that the 200R4's gear ratios were better and it was a stronger Transmission. He also stated theat the 700R4's gears were chosen so that they could run high rear end gears(i.e. most 82-92 F-bodys ran a 3.23 or higher gear) and still feel torque off the line. Plus the transmission was also used in truck and they needed a pulling gear. It was a transmission designed to fit many applications where the 200R4 was designed for primarily performance oriented cars.

the fact is that he is the ORIGNAl....there with the buicks since the beginning....first guy to do swaps has had years to perfect it...his quailty of work I am willing to put money on it outways anything you could do...I wasn't looking to argue but just b/c you put a slug 305 in the 13's is not a huge deal...I can find a write up a guy has on how to do it...the question is why bother?...and why can't your tta be in the 11's and look stock...there is one over steves shop capable of 10's looks frekin mint and original?

/done rant

Yea.. and the Model T was the original assembly line car to... it doesnt mean you can't make improvements.

Compnent selection does not mean anything to the ability to swap it in or make it look good. I am not denying that his work is top quality or that it is fu(king cool.

Note: I never said a 700R4 wouldn't work or that you couldn't use it. I was making a case that the 200R4 would be a better choice for the swap.

Why put a 305 into the 13's? I dunno why not put a 350 in a regal and turbo charge it instead of messing with the 3.8?

I did it with a 305 because I got my Trans Am in high school and slowy built it up... when the 305 came out it was running 13.3's. then in went a nice 350 underneath what I had already done... and bam it was in the 12's

Kile Kile Kile,
I dont know where to start? I guess I'll start with the trans. The 85'-88' 700r4 is weak. But the 89' up is stronger. Example: Corvette,F-Body's,Trucks.Not to forget the Syclone and Typhoon. Its a very good trans. If you ever took one apart you would notice the 89'&up is beefier than the 200. Now, In order to use it in the conversion he will need a bellhousing addapter. But he can still use his crossmember. If he uses the 200 he will need a crossmember that is getting very rare. Or make one. Can you make one? I can! :p Now as for "you swap a few motors and get a car in a magazine" I have swaped more motors than years you have been alive. And I have been featured in four magazines. As for why GM did'nt use the 700 is the adaptor.They would have to make a differant housing.$$$$$$. Trust me I know these cars.:)
I'am putting a turbo Buick in a brand new A/C Cobra right now.What are you doing? PS When you get your TTA to fly you will forget all about your 305s

Steve Kaminski

Originally posted by Kyle F
You know... I may be somewhat new to the Turbo Buick Community because I havent had the money to put a car into the 11's or 10's yet, but that is only do to lack of funds.

All you need is about $1000 bucks to put a TTA into the 11s. It probably costs you more to put a 305 in the 13s.

Originally posted by TTA89
All you need is about $1000 bucks to put a TTA into the 11s. It probably costs you more to put a 305 in the 13s.

I agree it doesn't take much money to put God's chariot in the 11's.....

Back