gn swap 84 Z28

Matt Sando

starting my early stages of engine swap already got my complete drivetrain, now its time to pull out the small block. It's gonna be 40 degrees out tomorrow but can't wait any longer. Let you know how things go!

I've seen guys do your swap a few different ways over the last 10 years. What's your plan for heads, exhaust manifolds and crossover pipe? I get a lot of e mail asking for advice on this swap in your generation F body. Any advice?

using gn heads exaust manifolds and crossover pipe was told it fits as long as you ditch the A/C i'll let you know how it goes.

Did this to my '87 Iroc convertible. Simple swap aside from the electronics. I used EVERYTHING from the wrecked T-Type. GN heads, exhaust manifolds, crossover, tranny, intercooler, motormounts (part that bolts to frame and the rubber part that bolts to block). Had to use a Spohn tranny mount/torque arm to be able to use the 200-4R and had to shorten the T-Types driveshaft. Stock shifter will bolt up to the tranny pan fine. I started by bolting the tranny to the crossmember, and then dropping in the engine and bolting it up to the tranny (with both parts of the motormounts on the block) and once the engine looked "level" I tacked the motormounts, then unbolted them and the bellhousing. Then fully welded up the mounts to the frame (would have drilled holes, but didn't have a large enough drill and didn't want to mess with it) I ran all new fuel lines, ran a Walbro 340 which is a bolt in item (just a hassle to drop the stock tank) As I recall, I had to move the brake lines that run on top of the crossmember. Intercooler shroud has to be custom if running the stock IC, as it hits the "wonderbar" near the sway bar. I made one out of a couple of office trash cans and then cut a square hole in the plastic air dam under the radiator. If you search GNtType.org and 3rdgen.org you should be able to find the wiring schematics for both cars. Sold this car to "Wickedsixx" last year.

Oh yeah, had to use a A/C delete pulley for an S-10, and had to have a downpipe custom made (used the stock one for the first few inches and then a custom made 2.5" from there down to my existing 3" exhaust) You can buy the first few inches of a THDP from a couple of the vendors, but to have a full 3" downpipe would have to be custom made and I think you might have to cut some of the car to make clearence.