GN turbo in a 85 442 questions

EasyToBeDead

so my original idea was to take a ls1 or 5.3 and drop it in the olds then turbo it down the line but then i thought to my self why not and try to see what it would it take to install the turbo 3.8 from one of the best G-Bodys with that said i can score a engine and trans which the trans is just a bonus plus the ecu and engine wiring harness for under 2k and that does not seem like a bad deal but i would like to keep my dash and my gauge (rally pack) so is this possible? i know ill need new fuel lines and a sending unit but can i get this done with the stock ecu/engine harness or would it be better to go with a stand alone system which i have 0 experience with. :)

I can't really help with your questions, but I wish you luck. I always liked the 84-87 442s and thought about the swap myself.

so my original idea was to take a ls1 or 5.3 and drop it in the olds then turbo it down the line but then i thought to my self why not and try to see what it would it take to install the turbo 3.8 from one of the best G-Bodys with that said i can score a engine and trans which the trans is just a bonus plus the ecu and engine wiring harness for under 2k and that does not seem like a bad deal but i would like to keep my dash and my gauge (rally pack) so is this possible? i know ill need new fuel lines and a sending unit but can i get this done with the stock ecu/engine harness or would it be better to go with a stand alone system which i have 0 experience with. :)
I have a turbo engine in my cutlass and got all the gauges to work with my rally dash. You can make it work as long as you have a donor Buick with all the wiring.

Let's say you have donor Buick what would be the procedure with the engine harness ? And fuse box ?and dash harness?

I have a turbo engine in my cutlass and got all the gauges to work with my rally dash. You can make it work as long as you have a donor Buick with all the wiring.

Like all the wiring ? Also finding a donor tr is like finding a damn unicorn or the Fountain of youth . Ecu and wiring I can get idk if I can do the entire wire harness haha

Let's say you have donor Buick what would be the procedure with the engine harness ? And fuse box ?and dash harness?
When I wired my cutlass I had both Haynes repair manuals for the Buick and the Cutlass and matched up the wiring. There are a few wires that you'll have to relocate on the olds fuse block and add the fuel pump wiring harness to the block also, mine was able to be connected together just like it was on the Gn not sure if other years of Olds have the same fuse block as the Buick but I am sure that 87 to an 87 should be the same. For temp gauge I used a sensor that bought from summit racing but could could get a part number if someone needed it. And the oil pressure gauge I used one from a Pontiac fiero and spliced in a new style pigtail and all my gauges worked flawlessly. One last thing the tach will have to be converted to get the right rpms in the back of the rally cluster move the clip from v8 to v6 and your set.

Like all the wiring ? Also finding a donor tr is like finding a damn unicorn or the Fountain of youth . Ecu and wiring I can get idk if I can do the entire wire harness haha
Yes, don't worry about the dash wiring cause you won't need that.

Thanks guys for the info so if I have hot air 85 I would not have to worry about – harness Under the dash it should be the same ? As the 87 Gn . And the engine harness I know it comes out on the passenger side firewall but where do I unplug it at the other end at the back side of the fuse panal firewall side that had 1 bolt holding it ? And would I have to worry about the fuel pump harness I it the same on the 85 hot air as the 87 Gn.

I put one in my 84' Hurst Olds. It's not that difficult. As long as you have the GN engine harness the swap is relatively easy. You will have to cross your fuel lines over to the left side, install the 3.8 v6 frame mounts for the motor mounts, add fuses to the fuse box for the injectors and fuel pump, and swap in a GN fuel tank. Get wiring diagrams for the Olds and a GN and match them up for the gauges, speed sensor, and whatever else needs to be connected.

I put one in my 84' Hurst Olds. It's not that difficult. As long as you have the GN engine harness the swap is relatively easy. You will have to cross your fuel lines over to the left side, install the 3.8 v6 frame mounts for the motor mounts, add fuses to the fuse box for the injectors and fuel pump, and swap in a GN fuel tank. Get wiring diagrams for the Olds and a GN and match them up for the gauges, speed sensor, and whatever else needs to be connected.

thanks for the info, would chiltons repair manual for each car have the wiring diagram ? Im picking up a hot air 85 3.8 Monday with the ecu and harness so ill be cracking at this very soon {:

thanks for the info, would chiltons repair manual for each car have the wiring diagram ? Im picking up a hot air 85 3.8 Monday with the ecu and harness so ill be cracking at this very soon {:
I second what the others said regarding the dash harness. It's exactly what I did. I used a Hayes manual and just traced some of the wires out as well.