You can type here any text you want

GNX headliner

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BBcallaway

Has anyone changed a solid top headliner? Where you able to do it without removing the windshield? Any suggestions where to get a replacement?

Thanks

the headliner fits easily through a door opening.

just remove some trim, the visors, and the dome light. take the headliner out of the car and pull the old material off the foam backing. use 80 grit sand paper (or whatever) to get the foam backing cleaned up.

you can buy new headliner material at any Jo-Ann fabrics store. The grey is a good match (great match actually) and it's cheap.

The best adhesive is Permatex headliner and trim adhesive. Farm and Fleet or Napa have it.

don'ts: don't press the new material on unevenly. if you poke a spot it will have a dent there because the glue will soak in to the new material. if you press it on smooth and even it will look great.
don't get glue on the wrong side of the fabric. it'll ruin it! and although the old fabric may have come off easily, any new fabric will be a nightmare to remove especially with the fresh glue.

just remove some trim,...

This reminds me of the Steve Martin gag where he announces "You can be a millionaire and never pay taxes!" How? "First... get a million dollars..."

It's this "remove some trim" step that has me freaked out. How does one remove the side trim without breaking the supposedly irreplaceable clips? Is this easy to do? Risky? Are the side clips actually available somewhere?

Except for this part everything else is simple, but I'm scared of breaking the clips. Any help is greatly appreciated.

LOL... well, all I can say is pull hard in a careful fashion....:)

I've always had good luck with those clips but they are a pain to work with.

Back