You can type here any text you want

GNX rear suspension

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GoldHawg

Appreciate any comments on pros/cons of Kirban's repro GNX rear suspension. Is this a good mod from a price/performance perspective or is this something just for those trying to make a better GNX clone? I'm sure this helps "hook up" better, but are there better/cheaper ways to hook up? How does this affect handling as well? I really want to create a smooth riding, corner carver, but I want to be able to hook up well also.

If any of you have personal experience, so much the better. Anybody install it themselves (either personally or thru a local shop vice the two recommended by Kirbans)?

Thx again for any thoughts.

Talk to

Give GNocide a pm. He has that unit on his t-top GN. He may have some insite for you.

Evaddave

If there's one area where I lack knowledge, it's performance suspension, so I can only tell you what I've heard from other people. The GNX suspension is really not ideal, depsite the fact that it was designed to plant the tires into the ground.

You can create a better suspension setup sticking with the stock GN design and changing to aftermarket adjustable parts (control arms, relocation brackets, etc).

Look under some of todays fastest Buicks and I don't think you'll see a 2grand GNX setup welded up under there.

for about the same money, you could build yourself a true modern 3 link with panahrd bar or watts linkage that would work much better and weigh less.

You might want to consider a search under "GNX suspension" or something similiar. There have been several very in-depth threads on this subject over the last couple of years. Historically, it's kool, but for all around handling performance wise there are cheaper ways to go. The HRParts rear sway bar might be something for you to consider, and there is another similiar set-up coming out designed a little more towards all around handling.

Thx all...much of this is what I expected. BTW, I didn't mention but the car has the astroroof if that makes a difference. I did (honest!) try the search under GNX suspension before posting and did not see anything, but maybe I'm not doing it right. I'll play around a bit more with the search to try to find these previous links.

thx again.

its outstanding on a daily driven vehicle- transforms the whole car- no downside except money(typical for a gnx)

ive had mine for 8 years now'- incredibly happy- would not go back

Richard Clark who is a2000rich on this board is a guy to pm about this since it was his funding that brought this back from the dead.

i would ask a gnx owner or someone that has one vs the racers because

the racers have a great hooking/ handling package but no real gnx experience in racing ,driving or developing/ improving this limited system- because its so limited(547 to start) the vendors don't either nor will they

- so its going to be biased every time you read a thread

just my .02

I have driven a real GNX and it does feel much different than a GN.

I bought the Kirban suspension for my GNX clone a couple mounths ago and installed it on my GN by myself in my garage. I was lucky enough to have a real GNX to look at and compare the measurments too but everything was a straight forward install and the directions are accurate so I could have done it without looking at my friends car. Its a bit tought to get the lader bar into the rear end cover like the instructions say but other than that its only a matter of making sure you measure twice and weld once.

I asked a lot of questions and after talking with Rick Hunt I was convinced that for a street driven car I would not be dissapointed with this setup. It has also been proven that you can go real fast with this setup as GNX 258 went 9.926 @ 137 with the stock suspension before its unfortunate accident when the powermaster failed. Its just that not too many GNX's were made into race cars and not many people have had the luxury of driving one let alone beat the hell out of one to see what the suspension is capable of. The bigest problem people have with it is they dont want to spend the money when they can get similar results with adjustable control arms and a H&R bar for less money.

To be honest I realy did installed it in my car to have a "better" GNX clone as you put it but it sure will be a nice conversation piece at car shows :biggrin: witch is what I'm into more than racing.

Man I cant wait for the frame off restoration to be done so I can enjoy driving it.

Back