Going to fix "altered" rear susp - any advice? (pics)

russgoodman

Since is will be cooling down here pretty soon, I am planning to reverse the alterations that have been done to my rear susp prior to the buick-ford shootout in Noble. Many of you guys really beat me up when I posted pics of my pypes exhaust install (tailpipes wouldn't fit correctly and I posted pic of rear end to show why). So I got under the car just now and took a couple of pics and wanted to make sure I would be doing everything correctly. I think what has happened is someone along the way welded in some LCA relocation brackets. This causes my LCAs to slant at an angle and the rear end to sit closer to the front of the wheel wells. My plan is to start from scratch the right way with a set of H&R LCAs. I think the stock swaybar has been left alone and I will be able to reuse it (for now - will end up with a bigger bar at some point). I will unbolt everything and grind away the weld on the relocation brackets. I think if I can get them out I can use the stock location LCA bolt hole on the rear end. I think the shock mounting points are fine and haven't been messed with. There is a bracket that mounts under the shock and off to the outside bolt of the current lca that I will remove. My main concerns are how much will the stock swaybar hold me back and if replacing the lower lcas would suffice if I leave the uppers as is. They are boxed like the lowers in the pics. Hopefully I can pull this off and pull a better 60ft than the 1.79 that's my current best. (Launced at 10# boost on MT DRs 17# in tires, 16# right bag and 6# left bag). Any suggestions or advice?? Thanks.

Attachments

• buick82.JPG
    buick82.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 332
  • buick94.JPG
    buick94.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 328
  • buick95.JPG
    buick95.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 322
  • buick96.JPG
    buick96.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 334
Sounds like you should be alright with your plan. I took a similar set-up off my first T-Type, though it was bolted on, not welded. Went back together like it should. Be sure and wear safety goggles when grinding. Don't ask me how I know.

Sounds like you should be alright with your plan. I took a similar set-up off my first T-Type, though it was bolted on, not welded. Went back together like it should. Be sure and wear safety goggles when grinding. Don't ask me how I know.

Nothin like a hot piece of metal in your eye. I've been there and done that ONCE.

Well I got all of the added brackets and stuff off yesterday. Everything worked out as I had hoped and I think everything will go back in the factory locations without a hitch. Now I'm just waiting on the new LCAs to get here.

Its all done, worked out great! The HR LCAs are really nice. I now have extra room between my tire and the body in front of the rear tires.

Attachments

• buick101.JPG
    buick101.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 154
  • buick102.JPG
    buick102.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 158
  • buick103.JPG
    buick103.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 171
  • buick105.JPG
    buick105.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 158
  • buick107.JPG
    buick107.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 149
Do u have any ideal what size nuts and bolts u used for that rear sway bar.

Do u have any idea what size nuts and bolts u used for that rear sway bar.

I'm not really sure what size they were. Only thing I can remember is the bolts had a 5/8" head and the nuts were 17 mm (odd combination so it stuck with me). You might try emailing Paul Ferry at HRparts and asking him what size bolts come with the LCAs for the swaybar mounting if nobody else knows.