You can type here any text you want

Good street tires for my 15 inch T type aluminum rims

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
I wanted to get an idea on a nice street tire for the 15 inch T type aluminum rims on my 87 T. It has the stock 10 fin "Dukes Of Hazzard" style rims.

I am considering a BF Goodrich radial mounted white letters out. I like the looks of these tires and they've really stood the test of time, but the biggest drawback (if this even is a drawback) is the speed rating on them is an S rating, or 112 mph.

Now mind you I usually don't drive 112, but my car is capable of going well over that limit, so i don't know if it's something that I should be concerned with. Of course I don't know how long you can drive over 112 mph on an S rated tire before it comes apart.

Anyways, your 2 cents is welcome. What would you consider I purchase for a nice street tire?

I wouldnt worry about a 112 speed rating. Your not going over that for an extended length of time to worry about any problems.

Firestone wide oval,good-year eagle gt II,I had the firestones on my 9C1 and they are a very good tire.

I wouldnt worry about a 112 speed rating. Your not going over that for an extended length of time to worry about any problems.

If the speed rating were 112 how long could I drive that fast or faster before I'd need to start worrying about the tire coming apart?

If the speed rating were 112 how long could I drive that fast or faster before I'd need to start worrying about the tire coming apart?

Im by no means an "expert", but have asked the question at the tire store concerning speed ratings. I was told it was meant for cars that could maintain/exceed that speed for a considerable amount of time. And before you ask, use your own judgement for "a considerate amount of time".
As far as Im concerned, I'm sure they'd be fine a quarter mile at a time, no matter what the average TR runs. my .02...
I know I dont see many TR's doing real long sprints down the freeway over 112+ mph much, do you?

Get any decent brand in a 275-60-15 and run them at 15lbs air pressure. Still spins a lot but actually hooks OK at the same time. Better than burning up a set of ET Street radials.

Attachments

• 3-9-07 007.jpg
    3-9-07 007.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 276
I have had the BFG T/A's on other cars in the past, and they are the first thing I installed on my '87 Grand National when I brought it home three weeks ago (in size 235-60-15). They are fine street tire that rides nice and handles well for typical around town and highway driving.

They are NOT a racing tire, though. If my GN gets to that point, a pair of BFG Drag Radials, or an equivalent, will be put on the back.

JMO, Your mileage may vary.
John

PM me, I can get you a smokin deal on Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. 55K mile performance radial. 235/60R15 fronts, 255/60R15 rears.

Thats the tire size I have on the rear of the GN now 255-60-15 it's a good street tire on a 15x7" rim.

Thats the tire size I have on the rear of the GN now 255-60-15 it's a good street tire on a 15x7" rim.

I've been told that 235/60/15 is about the widest you want on a 7 in rim. Especially if you build the car to go around curves. But if I can go wider, I would. Other thoughts on widest that can go on 7 in rim? If too off topic, sorry for hijack.

According to the charts at tire rackthe 255-60-15 are for a 7" - 9" rim. These tires fit and look good on the 15x7" rims. The 275-60-15's on a 15x7" rim may be a little squirrly in the turns.

I used Dunlop GT Qualifiers and loved them. Good traction, long life and good wet. I actually have some near new ones off the front of my old GN 235/60/15's. I used 265/50/15's on the back.

Back