Gracie vs Hughes Fight.....

GNflyby

The Video Guy
Hughes Wins and Leaves No Doubts with Stoppage of Gracie.

LOS ANGELES, May 27 – The party line before the UFC 60 main event between Matt Hughes and Royce Gracie was that the sport of mixed martial arts had passed the Brazilian legend by and that he couldn’t compete with the new breed of mixed martial artist. Yet while Hughes was dominant in a first round stoppage victory before a packed house at STAPLES Center, there is no doubting the toughness of Gracie, who not only made his return to the Octagon for the first time in over ten years, he did it against the premier welterweight in the game.

And you’ve got to respect him for that.

But the night truly belonged to Hughes, who may not have had his UFC welterweight crown on the line, but who fought as if it was his last bout as he dominated from start to finish against the jiu-jitsu ace from Rio De Janeiro.

PLUS lets not forget the insanity of gracie and his ability to get with stand that reverse arm bar. His arm was at a negative angle, how the hell didn't his arm snap in half.

Also, gracie is used to the old style of rules, where there was 15-20 min rounds, and the ref is much more leneant in stopping a fight usally only by knockout or tap out only!

Great fight reguardless!

I was hoping to see them take it more than 1 round though. Pretty awesome display of strength by Hughes as he had back mount using his "ground and pound" swinging both fist balancing off the hips with no lack of power.

I was also impressed with the other guy from the Hughes camp, Fisher. The flying knee was put on the money.

All the matches after the Hughes fight were awesome I love those lightweight battles :biggrin:

Also, gracie is used to the old style of rules, where there was 15-20 min rounds, and the ref is much more leneant in stopping a fight usally only by knockout or tap out only!

he probally knew, or at least he should have. and the old style when he fought was fights ONLY ended with a knockout or tap. there were no stoppages. in not even sure there were rounds, i believe him and shamrock rolled around on the ground for over a hour before gracie finally won that one. that said its too bad he lost, it would have been nice to see him win it, with the old rule system in place who knows, gracie could take an astonishing amount of punishment, before he locked in the final move that would make a guy tap.