You can type here any text you want

Green Light Project

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

b4black

OK, it's always bother me that the green light on the factory boost gauge isn't a light, but just a painted line. (On the LeSabre Sport Coupes, they have all three lights.) So I did something about it. Some little peices from the junkyard, some wire and tap connectors and a dremel tool is all that's needed.

1. Remove the instrument panel bezel and the boost gauge bezel. Take out the brushed silver panel. Then the socket holder that holds the lights.
2. Remove the colored lense from behind the panel. Then using a dremel tool, cut out the green dash, Be VERY, VERY careful. Use a file to clean up the edges.
3. Cut a section from the lense and then place a green lense in it's place. Use the green lense from behind the turn signal indicator in a speedometer.
4. Drill a 1/2 hole in the light holder and then shape it like the other sockets with teh dremel. Find a light socket like the others at the junkyard for the third bulb. The top idiot light (temp) of a 3 pod dash has one.
5. The boost light are switched via the ground wire. So tap one wire of the new bulb to the pink/black wire shared by the other bulbs. This is a igintion swicthed power source. When the other wire is grounded, the bulb will light. You have three options with this. a) Ground it, and it will light whenever the key is on. b) run it to a pressure swicth like the others and set it to turn on at a lower pressure than the yellow light. c) tap into the upper left wire of the ALDL connector. This wire goes to ground whenever the Torque Convetor Clutch is applied. (I did this. It's interesting to see when and how often the TCC is applied.)

There is also another place to do something similar. The top idiot light I mentioned above is for the tempature. All cars with the 5 pod cluster have a temp gauge, so the idiot light is left empty. You can connect a light the same way here. Then change the lense ito read whatever you want. (I just need to think of another function worth monitoring.)

Something the factory should have did. :)

I think that would be a good spot for the TC light...you know, to see when it locks.
Jim

I'm gald I did this. It really helps to see exactly what the TCC is doing. The TCC lock up really feels like a shift and it's easy to confuse the two. I hadn't thought about it before, but the TCC locks up before the 3-4 shift. It goes 1-2, 2-3, TCC then 3-4. The third "shift" is the TCC.

I think I am gonna move the TCC light to the "temp" spot and wire the green boost light to a pressure swicth at 0 psi. And I think I will add a switch to the wiring I installed to manually lock (ground) the TCC.

Back