You can type here any text you want

GTA/GNX rims

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
I have a set of gold GTA rims. I have stripped the clear off the polished parts (well, most of it) and have started to prep the centers to be painted.

Questions:
1. Is there an easier way to strip the clear? I used aircraft paint remover. I still have small patches where it won't come out.

2. Is there a tutorial on how exactly to polish the lip of the rim (it's already shiney but I wanted it to all be even. - Not sure how to polish aluminum.

3. I was thinking of trying a hot-tank to really clean the rims (good idea or not?)

4. I was quoted $175 per rim to blast and powdercoat the centers and polish the lip. Is that a good price? Seemed kind of pricey to me.

This is not for a show car. Just wanted to lighten up the load and store my stock GN wheels.

Reply to "turbo39151"...

I'm currently having two GTA wheels stripped off the clear coating, glass beaded to remove the old black paint on the centers and then repolish the lips. They were black and we found when glass beading them that they were gold before that. That alone cost me $150. Then to have the centers powdercoated black it's costing me another $245...So altogether, they'll cost me $395 for the two wheels ($197.50 each). :rolleyes:
At $175 per wheel you're in the ballpark I think...even a few bucks less that what I'm paying! :D

Claude :)

I have posted these pics before but I wanted to show you the before and after difference. I paid 150.00 per wheel finished. This seems to be an average price asked most everywhere. I can see the powdercoating being a little more expensive but I don't think the powdercoating is necessary personally. It leaves them with a thicker look on the webbing. I just don't have the time or the desire to do them my self. The centers were blasted, painted and cleared and the edges were stripped and high polished. To be honest with you, it is a lot of work to get them to look like this. They look great though. My 4 fronts will be on the car next week.

Attachments

• DSC00490 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00490 (Medium).JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC00617 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00617 (Medium).JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 368
IF i wanted the GTA fronts widened for the wider look on the rear what BS do I need...

IF i wanted the GTA fronts widened for the wider look on the rear what BS do I need...

You want the backspace that is already there. Fronts are already at the backspace limit to go on the back without rubbing the frame.

Any additional width should go on the outside.

What you could do, is to use two GTA "rears" widened to the specs you want...They're easier to find and you don't have to "sacrifice" some perfectly good "fronts" doing so because only the center piece of the wheel is saved and reinstalled into new outer rims with the back spacing you want...so it doesn't matter if you use rears to begin with. I've had a set made in 16"x10" with a rear spacing of 4.25".
By the way, I have two "rears" for sale...:biggrin: ...Just pm or e-mail me if interested...

Claude ;)

e-mail: toofastforyou@sympatico.ca

Claude,I just sent a PM,but after reading it again ,sounds like you have regular GTA rears for sale,,if they are widened for a GN ,the send info,,,but otherwise I have GTA rears and Fronts...

where are you located? cause i just got mine done and they look just like WLDWST's ones. i paid 130 a rim. the redo them completly. including fixing them if the lips are damaged

I'm currently having two GTA wheels stripped off the clear coating, glass beaded to remove the old black paint on the centers and then repolish the lips. They were black and we found when glass beading them that they were gold before that. That alone cost me $150. Then to have the centers powdercoated black it's costing me another $245...So altogether, they'll cost me $395 for the two wheels ($197.50 each). :rolleyes:
At $175 per wheel you're in the ballpark I think...even a few bucks less that what I'm paying! :D

Claude :)

I finally decided to have a complete set of four wheels done (instead of two like I first posted above). The total stripping and lip polishing cost $300. The powdercoating cost me $450. I bought 4 tires to mount on them (245-50-16's for the front and 255-50-16's for the rear), another $450. + 4 chrome valves @ $10. Some brand new wheel center caps, $79.40, and finally some GNX wheel cap overlays @ $52.95....for a grand total of $1,342.35 :eek: .....but they're brand new again! :wink: The only thing I did not add were the duty fees on the tires and center caps...maybe another $200. ...but I'd rather stop counting!...:biggrin: :biggrin:
I'll post some pictures once the tires are mounted and the center caps with GNX overlays installed...:D

Claude :smile:

Back