You can type here any text you want

Guys with manual steering

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Otto J

Guys with manual steering,Did you use your stock pitman arm? Or do you need to use the arm for a manual box?
Thanks

I used a manual steering box off an S-10 truck with the pitman arm off the GN. You can take that PS pump off and run a shorter belt.......but you already knew that!

Loosing the P/S really cleans up the underhood plumbing!

Dave

Dave, did you try to use the pitman arm off the s10?
I got a box with the arm on it,But if i have to change the arm i need to stop and pick up my buddies tool on my way home if i need to.
Ill know when i get home and match them up,Just trying to be prepared

Although now my steering wheel is off. I believe i can pull off the pitman arm and there are 4 position it can sit,and my wheel is off about a 1/4 turn

Is the S10 steering box and pitman arm a straight forward bolt on modification to a GN or is there some adaptation required to hook it to the steering column. If so what parts are required ?

Thanks

George

Originally posted by oldtimer
Is the S10 steering box and pitman arm a straight forward bolt on modification to a GN or is there some adaptation required to hook it to the steering column. If so what parts are required ?

Thanks

George

It is a direct bolt in.

Are all manual S10 steering boxes the same or is there a specific year I should be looking for ?

Thanks again

George

i believe 83-91 2wd boxes are the same retro fit, But different years may have different ratios

Originally posted by turbodave231
I used a manual steering box off an S-10 truck with the pitman arm off the GN. You can take that PS pump off and run a shorter belt.......but you already knew that!

Loosing the P/S really cleans up the underhood plumbing!

Dave

Dave - Are you saying just remove the pump/lines/etc. and run a shorter belt with the existing bracketry and tensioner? I guess I was under the impression that there was some reason this wouldn't work. I know the Champion bracket is the slick setup if you want to spend the $$.

Thanks,

Jim

That works perfect, I just did the same thing,Also works good with the electric water pump

Back