Hard Start

bluezone

I am having a start issues with my GN... My GN starts but i have to hold the ignition for about about five seconds for the car to start... i thought it was a starter issue so i purchased a high torque starter but the problem is still there... i will like for the car to turn right over

Any Suggestions

Is the engine either hot or cold or is it consistent?

If you turn the key to the on position, do you hear the fuel pump running for a couple of seconds?

Also do you have the ability to check the fuel pressure at the shrader valve on the rail? It's possible that you are bleeding off pressure while it sits.

The Problem happens when the car is hot & cold.... my fuel pressure is 45psi with the extender chip, also i can hear the fuel pump running when i turn the key to the on position....

Can you leave the guage on for a couple of hours and see if you have some pressure loss??

Did it happen all of the sudden or did it just get longer and longer in the cranking mode?

it s been like that since i bought the car... i thought it was the starter so i purchased new one & the problem is still there... i have a walbro in tank fuel pump & a inline fuel pump also both pumps are running on a hotwire kit

What kind of mods have been done to your car that you would need 2 fuel pumps?

Guess I'm over my head here. I should have started with asking what kind of mods you have.

Probably need to go back and do some "spring cleaning". Checking TPS, IAC, clean the throttle body, and possible check your cam sensor.

I have been dealing with a horrible cranking/start for a while. Beachbum came over yesterday, we cleaned up some of my grounds, installed a new Grounding strap to a brand new battery and voila, she cranks with authority now!

Here is a list of the my mods

Turbonetics 60/1
60lbs injectors
LS1 Mass Air
Translator Box
Extenender Chip
Kenny Fuel Regulator
Kenny Bell Pleum
ScanMaster
3.90 Gears
High Torque starter
Art Carr Stall Converter
Gn1 Performance InLine Fuel Pump
Single Walbro intank Fuel pump
Brand New Optima Red Top Battery

Can you leave the guage on for a couple of hours and see if you have some pressure loss??

Did it happen all of the sudden or did it just get longer and longer in the cranking mode?

ditto on this see if you loose fuel pressure in the rail after a bit i had this issue before with the hard starting the injectors were leaking down into the motor and "flooding" slightly and caused the hard start

Thanks alot for the help, I will check in the AM... If the Fuel pressure drop how do I fix that problem

Thanks alot for the help, I will check in the AM... If the Fuel pressure drop how do I fix that problem

well if it was leaking you would smell it coming from the fuel rail it could be the regulator leaking down thats allways a possiability but if it was like mine i had to replace the injectors as they were leaking through them into the motor

These cars need to see a cam sensor signal to start. Depending on where the engine stopped, it could take 2 complete revolutions of the engine to get a cam signal. I dont know about 5 seconds, but it could take a few

my car does the same thing. takes a few secconds to fire but only after it has been running within a hour or so. i need to hit the throttle a bit to get it fired. then once it does start its smokey.

the pressure leaks down after a while when i checked it with the gauge.

do you need to apply throttle to get it started or no?