You can type here any text you want

Hard to fill gas tank?

• Thread starter Thread starter Fred 86 GN
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
F

Fred 86 GN

Since putting a new Postons gas tank in last year, I have not been able to fill the tank quickly at all. It will not let me even set the fill lever to the first detent on the gas pump handle. I have to hold it barely open the whole time.:(

I have had the tank down to put in another fuel pump (340) since the initial installation. I did not notice that the vent line had been mashed or anything unusual. The rubber lines did look a little aged though.

Any ideas why the tank won't take fuel at a normal rate?

Could a clogged carbon canister cause this?

Thanks,

I have the exact same problem, if I go "WOT" :D with the nozzle it always clicks off after about 4-5 seconds, like the tank is full. But if I angle the nozzle in the filler neck sometimes it will take longer to click off.
My GN has always been like that and it's annoying as hell. :mad: I was under the impression that it was a poor filler neck design. It's still got the original tank, along with at Walbro 340 that I put in when I got the car.

Steve

ummm gas tank problems

this may not be it, but I think the GM designers and probably Postons as well put a baffle in the gas tank to keep the gas from sloshing to the back of the tank and starving the car when u smash the go pedal to the ground. This same baffling is probably also affecting the flow into the tank backing the gas up into the filler neck falsely and clcking the handle off. The postons tank might have a bigger baffle therefore it might back up with little to no gas flow at all,

Although it is a pain it is also the saving grace to not putting on your on personal $3000 + fireworks show at the track.

Just a thought

Jerry Berger

i think it has to do with the actual gas pump, not the tank. at one station by me, all but one of the pumps will constantly shut off. at the new station across the street, all the pumps ive used so far have no probs. probably slight variation in the angle of the pump spout or something.

new pump design

The gas station here on base just installed "mandatory" EPA "special" pump nozzles, and every one is rising a fit (including me). Theye are really difficult to work with. They seal so good that you have to spend about 45 minutes to fill your tank. *squeeze, click..squezze, click..squezze,click..etc.
I have to hold the "really tight" pressure sealant neck away from the filler when I gas up.
Just thought I would throw that out there. Might not be your problem, but those new handles are going to be showing up everywhere. Really a PITA.

Try filling it up in the winter in a snowstorm.... :rolleyes:

I can usually get to two on the clicker, all the pumps run at different speeds even at different Sunoco stations I use.

Aftermarket tank and neck.

Sometimes repositioning the angle of the nozzle helps.

Don't go to a full serve place as you'll end up pumping it yourself anyway. :D

Guys, i have the same friggin problem. I though it was only with my car! Each time i goto the gas station, i aim for this one particular pump which is less troublesome. It is the pump design, cause at some other gas stations i go to it is really a headache to fill the tank up.

My height makes it worse. I have to hold position with a cowering back and adjuct the nozzle to the magic angle to fill up. And when it does finally fill up, i get a how bunch of spilled fuel if im not careful.

Regarding the EPA nozzle:

Motorcycle riders have always had same problem with this type of nozzle. The solution is a small flat plate which you clip on nozzle to lock neck seal back. This will allow you to fill without having seal against tank fill tube.

I carry one of these on my motorcycle for just this reason.

Check at cycle shops in your area.

Deep Enough

Donald McMullin

Yep, I got the same problem. Doesn't matter where I fill up, it's the same old thing. Squeeze and click..........over and over and over and over and over...........lol :mad: :mad:

Same here... been doing that in my turbo as well.
Its not the pumps as far as I can tell. I can fill any other car just fine on the same pumps, but cant fill the tank on my regal like that. Even when I had the 307 in it, (not baffled tank) it filled pretty good.
Its really frustrating when it takes so long to gas up.

I had the same problem when my car had the orig tank, and it got worse with the Spectra Premium. I don't think it has anything to do with the baffles - after seeing where the baffles on the stocker and aftermarket tanks are installed, I can't really see how they'd affect the filler neck.

I think it's the bend of the filler neck and those ANNOYING PAIN IN THE A*S PUMPS WHICH PLAGUE MY LIFE!

Hell, it's easier for me to fill my tank directly from the plastic pull-out spout on the five gallon Powermist containers :D

Later,
Rich

My Postons does the same thing. Also try not to use a pump with the plastic ribbed covering. If it is just a metal pipe on the pump, it seems to go faster. Pumping at an angle also helps.

Back