You can type here any text you want

Harness to 6 x 9's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Drew L

Gerry Attrick
When changing to 6 x 9's are there harnesses available from the new speaker to the existing plug or do we fashion them ourselves? Thanks drew:)

if you want to do it that way, try calling crutchfield or even go to a local best buy or circuit city. they let you know what they have...

Just cut it and use in line butt connectors and attach the wires suppled. Or you can crip on speaker terminals to the factory wire.

Color codes....

(right rear) dark blue(+) blue(-)
(left rear) brown(+) yellow(-)

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying not to alter the existing connector. drew

Originally posted by Drew L
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying not to alter the existing connector. drew

It can be done! I have made my own harnesses at the request of my customers so the factory wiring is not altered. You can use a 3" to 6" 14 AWG wire, 2 male spade connectors for the GM harness and 2 female connectors for the aftermarket driver.

Another way is to use 3M Scotchlocks that crimp over the existing wire (pierces insulation and makes contact with wire without damaging and is non-permanent) and then you can uses the proper connectors from the Scotchlocks with a 3" to 6" piece of wire to the connectors of the driver. It works and is cheaper than an aftermarket harness adapter.

Scotchlocks-good idea. I worked on boats (for way to long) and Scotchlocks were a no no so I forget about using them. Thanks Drew:)

Scotchlocks-good idea. I worked on boats (for way to long) and Scotchlocks were a no no so I forget about using them. Thanks Drew:)

You're welcome! Just keep your trunk dry!! :p

Scotchlocks are still a big no no !!!

Do what audiowizard said, use some male spades to plug into the GM harness.

Your best bet is to get the adapter from Metra for them, they run around $6-8 at most larger stereo shops.

You just never know with Scotchlocks if you have a proper connection do ya? In saltwater marine applications they would last about a year. What made the situation worse was that the corrosion would travel up the wire, starting where the insulation was broken, in both directions and that wire would also have to be replaced. Premade commercial harnesses or make them myself, NO SCOTCHLOCKS! got it, thanks for the help. Drew

Back