Help with rear taillight wiring

turbobuick

Staff member
I am re-wring my GN with a Racepak Smartwire and eliminating the factory wiring all together with the exception of the front and rear light harnesses. I am having trouble finding info or figuring out how to wire the factory rear light harness

I will have 5 wires running to the rear harness from the PDM
Parking Lights (which I believe is Brown wire for factory )
Brake Lights
Rt turn
Lt Turn
Reverse Lights

The factory harness has one plug with 6 wires
Blue/Blk
Pink
Lt Green
Brown
Dk Green
Yellow

There is another plug with 3 wires
Black
Brown
Blue/Blk

The a single plug with a brown wire
Rear Light harness.jpg

From what I gather looking at what I can find for factory schematics
Brown parking/taillights
Dk Green is the right turn AND brake light?
Yellow is the Left turn AND brake light?

Diagram.jpg

The front light harness is pretty easy and straight fwd the connector has 5 wires and i have 5 wires running to it from the PDM
Low Beams Tan
Hi Beams Lt Green
Lt Front turn Dr Blue pin H1
Rt Front Turn Dk Blue Pin H2
Parking lights Brown

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Are you using the factory wiring for the Turn signal stalk and hazard flashers?
The turn and stop lights are the same element in the bulb, parking light is the second element in the bulb.
Switched in the turn hazard lamp section up top on that page you posted.

Best you could probably do to make it work is break the yellow wire to one bulb element and make that a turn lamp and use the other yellow wire to the second bulb as the stop lamp. Same on the dark green side split them up one element for stop one for turn.
Or add lamps and wiring to keep them separate circuits and multiple bulbs on each turn signal instead of one lamp element per side if you break them up.

Are you using the factory wiring for the Turn signal stalk and hazard flashers?
The turn and stop lights are the same element in the bulb, parking light is the second element in the bulb.
Switched in the turn hazard lamp section up top on that page you posted.
Thanks, that was helpful. I was just confusing myself
Brown Parking/Taillights low side of bulb
Yellow Lt Turn AND Brake High side of bulb
DK Green Rt Turn AND Brake
Lt Green Reverse.

So I really only need 4 wires Lt Turn, Rt Turn Parking and Reverse. I can program the Smartwire to turn both left and right on constant when brake is applied and I will have to figure out how to program it.

Now on to the 3rd brake light and I think I am going to wire up the pwr trunk release too lol!

If you wire it that way you will have all 4 stop lamps on when braking and NO flashing turn signal on to tell people you are braking and turning.
I doubt you will be able to put two controller outputs, turn and stop, to the same bulb elements so check the manual for that.
You may need to add bulbs to get it done right.

If you wire it that way you will have all 4 stop lamps on when braking and NO flashing turn signal on to tell people you are braking and turning.
I doubt you will be able to put two controller outputs, turn and stop, to the same bulb elements so check the manual for that.
You may need to add bulbs to get it done right.
All of that is controlled by the Smartwire and is programmed in. I should be fine with two wires to a dual fllament bulb the factory has it wired that way too. But then again I have been wrong before lol! I'll post something when I get it up and running which is hopefully soon.

" I will have 5 wires running to the rear harness from the PDM
Parking Lights (which I believe is Brown wire for factory )
Brake Lights
Rt turn
Lt Turn
Reverse Lights "

If your PDM runs the parking lamps wire on one element, the other element needs both the Turn Signal wire as well as the Brake Signal wire to it.
The factory wiring removes the brake lamp signal from one side of the turn lamps when that side turn signal is activated. The other side brake lights still work.
I would draw a schematic even a simple one so you can see what will happen in each operational case.

If your PDM runs the parking lamps wire on one element, the other element needs both the Turn Signal wire as well as the Brake Signal wire to it.
The factory wiring removes the brake lamp signal from one side of the turn lamps when that side turn signal is activated. The other side brake lights still work.
I would draw a schematic even a simple one so you can see what will happen in each operational case.
Just to understand this and see we are on the same page, the factory wiring works like this:
-12v to the brown wire on low side of the bulb when parking lights are on.
-If the brake pedal is pressed it the factory will then send 12v to the high side of the bulb on the yellow for left and green on right and light both sides of the bulb?
-Then if the turn signal is switched on to the left 12v is sent to the yellow wire and the turn signal flasher will interrupt the yellow wire so the high side of the bulb blinks.
-Then if the hazards are on the flasher will interrupt the high side on both along with send 12v to both green and yellow wires?

If that is the way the factory has it wired then yeah I will be able to wire it with 4 wires and program the rest in the PDM, no relays, no flasher, no fuses are used with this set up.
Thanks

If you only have one PDM brake wire and two turn wires, how can you show brake on one side and turn the other side at the same time? You need one side to flash and the other side to light up continuous for braking. If the brake light wire goes to both elements that also feature the flashing lamp you would have to turn the braking side off so the flasher can be seen flashing and the other side would no longer show braking, a dangerous condition when turning prior to and post turning.
Now if you had two brake light wires you could wire them one to each side and program them appropriately so that braking shuts off on that side when turn signal is flashing on that side.
I just don't see how you can have one side flash and the other side show brake with only one wire for braking since you won't see any flash if you are braking because the element will be continuously lit on both sides. Unless I'm missing something?
The factory turn signal switch removes the continuous brake lamp signal from the turning side only so it can flash, and allows the other side to show brake lamps continuously lit.

If you only have one PDM brake wire and two turn wires, how can you show brake on one side and turn the other side at the same time? You need one side to flash and the other side to light up continuous for braking. If the brake light wire goes to both elements that also feature the flashing lamp you would have to turn the braking side off so the flasher can be seen flashing and the other side would no longer show braking, a dangerous condition when turning prior to and post turning.
Now if you had two brake light wires you could wire them one to each side and program them appropriately so that braking shuts off on that side when turn signal is flashing on that side.
I just don't see how you can have one side flash and the other side show brake with only one wire for braking since you won't see any flash if you are braking because the element will be continuously lit on both sides. Unless I'm missing something?
The factory turn signal switch removes the continuous brake lamp signal from the turning side only so it can flash, and allows the other side to show brake lamps continuously lit.
Well you might be right after all! But only because the Racepak software won't let you change the channel from constant to flashing with a secondary input like I was thought could be done so my idea won't work. I am not at the point I can power all this crap up so I can see what I can and can't do with the software and Holley Tech support, well is just not that supportive. Actually the Holley tech told me it would work the way I wanted to do it but a buddy of mine set up his car with a Smartwire and a Holley in a 1969 FIrebird and had this problem and used the following to fix it.

Even with the way I wanted to do it I still needed to run a separate brake output for the 3rd brake light unless I wanted it to blink with the turn signals so I can use the 3rd brake light wire to power the one side of diode modules for the brake lights. I pretty much have to play with it once I have it powered up.

If you can program 2 or 3 SEPARATE brake lamp wires you can make it work.
I will have the following outputs programed all on individual wires
Brake Lights
Parking lights
Rt Rear Turn
Rt Front Turn
Lt Rear Turn
Lt Front Turn

I am running parking lights output to front and rear lights