Has anyone did the 3.8l swap into a Suzuki Samuari?

Buick_noob

Looking at this page:

RePower your Suzuki Samurai with a V6 or V8 Engine Conversion from Suzuki Lightning Conversions

Notice how they have a V6 swap kit with the 4.3 Chevy Vortec V6 mated with the 200r4...Who else has the 200r4...We do.

So the swap has everything you need to make it run 4WD, so I was thinking of buying one and doing this swap minus the 4.3 Vortec and putting our 3.8l eninge in it. I found a Suzuki and come monday I will have to wheel and deal with the guy. I figure since I will be building a new engine when I get back from my deployment. I can use my old one to put in the Suzuki. Will update to let you guys know if this is a go or not.:biggrin:

For ones that do not know what one looks like:
Alot of people off-road with them( not the one I am buying)

783029_3_full.jpg

At least it is still a GM product

The one I am looking at:

2819739316.229731410.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

I have NO idea if anyone's done that before (though it wouldnt surprise me) nor do I have any clue if its possible, and if so, how difficult a job it would be, but I do think its an AWESOME idea. A buddy of mine used to drive one o' them... it couldn't have weighed more than 15 pounds fully loaded :) If you could get the drivetrain to live behind a GN mill, and get it took launch well in 4WD, that would be one surpisingly quick lil truck, quite a sleeper. I LIKE it!

Hi,
I have been under a few of them,as well as Geo Trackers and such. they have a full frame, not too beefy, though. Looks like lots of room in the engine bay for such a swap.It would be an incredible sleeper,but pretty unstable.I would say it can be done pretty easily. Good luck!

wasn't there one on Ebay a while back ??? hmmm kinda top heavy and a short wheelbase :eek: :eek:

i think somethings wrong here! they say 200 R4 on the website in some spots and 700 R4 in another. there is no such thing as a 200 R4... its 2004R! the trans they r using should be a 700 R4. 2004R's r a solid case, no detachable tailshaft housing, and i have never seen one that is made for 4wd... of course i am only 21 years old so i havent seen everything!!!

yup.... had a 9" Ford in it to... don't think I would want to go 130+ in it though :eek:

I just got a mental pic of Grumpy... piloting the tracker.... doing 130 out the big end..... saying.... "It's just an SUV..... drive it" :biggrin:

My opinion here ... but figured I would have to give it cause it may or may not make you re-consider.

If you are just going to DRIVE that samurai and not off-road it at all, then the GN motor swap is the way to go.

But if you plan on mudding and off-roading that thing, I would NOT put a 20 year old motor with 20 year old electronics that does NOT like mud and water on them. These components have enough freaky issues without water and dirt and mud getting into them. They werent designed for it.

I think that is something to consider here. People put newer 4.3s in these things, the ones that came in the s-10 and full size pickup trucks. They can handle a little dirt and grime.