Have extender chip and a few questions, TurboBob?

tim87tr

Obsession or Digression?
Just ran the extender for my 38# redstripes, idled and ran great. Then I unplugged the chip for full time open loop, car runs good too using the previous learned data.

I want to put in an old O2 sensor and run race gas in the open loop mode in order to not kill the good sensor. Does anyone run their car this way and how do you like it? I know it will hurt my mileage but that's ok.

I guess I can tune by kr (don't have an EGT yet), since I guess the O2 readings are not valid now in open loop. There has been hardly any kr (less than 1), especially compared to other chips. Just ran 15 to 16 lb boost with no kr, the chip likes about 42 lb fp.

I like the fast update with the chip, but here are my main concerns, any comments welcome:

1) The malfunction screen for the scanmaster 2.1 is gone now.
2) MAF readings are 1 and 2. Is this right for the new 3" MAF and translator, as compared to 4 to 7 readings with a stock MAF.
3) What temp is the fan set to come on, my temp is staying higher now. That's ok, the 165 on other chip runs the fan too much anyway, plus I have a manual fan switch if I want to use it.

When I first ran the car, I forgot to change the translator to extender mode, switch 3, and the BL was lower. Now it seems higher, closer to 128, not pulling fuel out. This also seemed to improve the car even more, I guess more data, no kr.

I am also looking for the new 3" MAF and trans + if anyone has a used one. I am borrowing the ones I'm using now and my friend will need it back soon when his engine rebuild is done.

Most guys still run theirs closed loop. they do replace sensors once in a while tho.

Even in open loop mode, the chip will still read the sensor. As the sensor loads up
with lead, it's response gets slower and slower. Just keep this in mind and you
can still tune with it.

To read Malfunction codes, change chips back to something else
without resetting the ECM. Then key up (no need to start the engine)
and the Scanmaster will display your trouble codes. Change back to the
high speed chip when you're done. Be sure to wait 10 seconds or so after turning
the key off to remove the chip. Also, you could just use the "paper clip"
method to blink the codes out.

The extender chip reads half of the actual airflow, this is fine.

Fan temp, tell me the number on the chip and I will look it up.

Switch 3 does not affect blm's, but the blm's do move around a little as
the outside temperature changes.

Used translators are offered on the bulletin board once in a while, keep a sharp
eye out.

TurboBob