Head gasket test

pwhite

How do I test for a blown Head gasket. I get real hot at idle like 235 or 240 on the scanmaster but when driving it runs about 190
I have a bubbles in my overflow tank when car warms up even after i kill it. the oil looks alright alittle cloudy but not like a milk shake. the car runs fine other than that no miss. If i do a comp.test what should the cyclinder psi be. how long should it hold it.

Have you had your radiator looked at? Sounds like it needs it. Is your fan coming on when the car warms up?? What thermostat are you using? 160,180 degree??

Compression test #'s normally are in the 155-160 range, if all is well.

If you or a friend have access to an emission tester, use it to sniff the radiator water as the engine warms up. If the bubbles are exhaust gasses you will know.

Gary :)

Cap

Do you still have the original Radiator cap on it ? My cap had the rubber pulling apart on the sealing surface and causing pressure going to the over flow tank...... Change the cap, $3.49 , anywhere......alan

swapping the radiator cap would be the first course of action, I think.

Compression testing or leak down tests often don't show that kind of head gasket problem due to inadequate cylinder pressures. Sniffing with an exhaust gas analyzer or a chemical test on a coolant sample are the best ways of finding a leak into the coolant system.