You can type here any text you want

Head Gaskets Part #

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TT/Ameasap

The White Blur
What part number do I need for stock replacement head gaskets?
and while Im doing this, what extra steps should I take to make this go more smoothly?

Thanks,
Bo

Head Gaskets

If you are looking for GM part numbers, the only way they were serviced was in a kit form. This included intake, rocker cover,and the actual head gaskets. The part number is / was 12337548, but I think it was discontinued in 1993. If you are interested in the last GM overhaul kit in the world (every gasket in the engine) minus the two rubber ends for the intake, which are the same as a 3.1 litre eng, send me an e-mail and I will discuss it with you.
good luck - turbota.

GM PART #

The GM part # for our headgaskets is 25528486. I ordered them in February from GMPartsdirect.com (cheapest). I know they work, because they matched what came out and have withstood over 21lbs of boost. I still have the old ones hanging on the wall with the pn#'s on them.
If you have any questions let me know, I did this myself, and then had to have someone else go back and do it again. So I know how to do it right and how not to do it right.
If you have the stock bolts, make sure you order new ones, they are torque to yield and cannot be reused.
Wish I could be there to help. Good luck.

Ken TTA#1426

Ken-
I wish you were here too or better yet I was there (will be in about a month!). Do I order the same part number from GMpartsdirect.com that you posted above? Shoot me an email to let me know the right and wrong way to do it.
Thanks.

Use that part #. If it doesn't work let me know, I'll double check. This was the cheapest way I could get the gaskets, but it took about a week for them to get to me. Good luck, and don't forget to buy the bolts!

Ken

OK, unfortunately I am probably the King of headgaskets on a TTA. I have 3 beautiful examples of what a headgasket should not look like hanging in the garage. I have blown the #5 cylinder out of a stock one, the #4 and #6 out of a fel-pro and badly damaged the #3 cylinder on the other fel-pro. I have had my heads milled .002" and they were fine. What I can tell you that is still a mystery to me is that the ROL gaskets I have on my car now have not given me any trouble at all and cost $11.xx and are in stock at my local parts store versus the fel-pro's that are over $20 and can't be had for twice that prive in less than 4 days.

Yes you do have to change the head bolts and I would recomend ARP's. If you order them individually dont get all 16 washers, only get 10 since you can't use a washer on the bolts under the header (3 bolts on each head) as the head hits the header unless you want to remove about .100" or more from your header. I still have 6 washers laying on my workbench.

I believe it is John's Performance that has a kit for the TTA. I had to talk to ARP personally and sit there and measure my bolts to get a set, but she did save the info and should be able to pull it up if you want to get your parts somewhere else.

ARP bolts

I have the arp bolts (bought kit from Johnsperformance.com). I had my headers modified so they fit.
My suggestion is to go with the stock bolts. It's just eaiser. My ARP bolts are reuseable, but how many times are you going to do this job?
There is nothing wrong with the ARP bolts, they just make retorquing impossible with the headers on. It's just less hassle with the stock bolts. Any questions, keep posting we're all here to help.

Ken

Well, Im still looking for symptoms to justify the job!Im not loosing any coolent,no bubbles in coolent,no sounds from heads,no coolent in oil,I will perform a compression test soon.I am going to buy the gaskets anyway as soon as I get a place to stay.( I sound like a bum) Im just freakin out a little,dont want to hurt my baby:D

Symptoms i did have were:

Coolent on floor size of half dollar under oil pan.( Only happend once?????) Never came back.

Then checked #6 plug (were I thought it might be because block seemed to have some dampness to it) and it seemed to smell like old stagnet water.

Im going to try bumping the starter and see if any water comes out of the spark plug hole tomorrow

thanks guys,
Bo

Back