Head Questions

Chucky

Hi Guys,

My name is Marcel and i am from The Netherlands.

I bought a 1980 Buick Regal with a 231 V6 NA.
Currently i am repairing the rusted body. And i have to go study on the wiring because its a mess.

I am busy repairing the engine and give it some extra power.
I've bought myself a book over the V6 engines, "V6 performance manual"

I have a question about the heads.
I was planning to buy an aftermarket intake manifold and found one by summit. Edelbrock performer EDL-5486 dual plane intake.
It says that it is only to use on 79-up heads.
My heads castingnumbers tell me that they are from '78.
But if i look at the V6 manual (photo's) they tell me i have the "late" heads.................so i'm a little bit confused :confused: :confused:

Can anyone clear this out for me??

Thanx in advance.

Greetings from Holland

A picture would help.

Are you looking at the actual date stamp? or referencing the full GM casting number?
I've found discrepancies when referencing casting numbers with the book i have "how to hotrod your Buick V6"

Hopefully you've found your answer already (The Before Black site is a superb reference IMHO), If you do have the '78s an Offenhauser manifold should work.

Best of luck!

-Will

I was familiar with The before black website :wink:
Through the links i ended here. :)

I'm looking at the casting numbers:

block: 1261787
heads: 8-1262098

When i am at home i try to place some pics.

thanx!

Another try to get some photo's up here:
Block:
IMG_1036-1.jpg

And the heads:
IMG_1037-1.jpg

IMG_1043-1.jpg

IMG_1045-1.jpg

IMG_1047-1.jpg

IMG_1048-1.jpg

The heads have the 1,710" intake and the 1,500" exhaust valves

hopefully is this enough for you guys.

Another member correct me if i'm wrong, but those are the late style ports, aren't they?

Allright thank you!! That's perfect!!

But how is it possible? This is a '79 and up head.
But the castings tell me that this is a '77-'78 head :confused:

And how can i see that this is a "high port" head?
In my performance book the photo's are not clear to see that.

Thanx for the reply's :cool:

My opinion is that references are imperfect devices... As I said before I've found discrepancies in the reference material I've used.

For your future reference, If you look at the intake side of the head, those well defined almost perfectly rectangular and tall ports are noticeably different from the more "pushed down" 78 and earlier heads.

I hope I explained it correctly. I'll see if I can find a link to a picture for you. OR maybe another member can word the explanation better.

My opinion is that references are imperfect devices... As I said before I've found discrepancies in the reference material I've used.

For your future reference, If you look at the intake side of the head, those well defined almost perfectly rectangular and tall ports are noticeably different from the more "pushed down" 78 and earlier heads.

I hope I explained it correctly. I'll see if I can find a link to a picture for you. OR maybe another member can word the explanation better.

How about 2 threads down in this forum. :)
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/before-black-non-sfi-tech/238273-ancient-heads.html