You can type here any text you want

Head Surface for sealing

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

I just got back my 8445 heads from a local machinist, for a leaky valve.

Anyways when I picked up the heads he told me that he checked the heads and they were only 1 thousandth out on the milled surface. when I looked at the bottom of the head I noticed they had sandblasted the chamber and the milled surface.

I asked him if this is still going to seal as I was worried it wouldn't be smooth enough and he said yes, BUT I am unsure and want some expert advice.

The heads have already been milled down so trimming some more off is not something I want to do unless 100% needed, but at the same time I do not want something that will not seal either.

Thanks for the help guys,

Adrian

If you're using anything other than steel gaskets, you're most likely fine. If you're using MLS gaskets, then maybe.

In that case, get a large diamond stone and some WD40. Do a couple of large circles and see if you have any low spots. (common places are between cylinders and next to water ports at the fire ring)

or if you have a large glass table, clean it and affix a couple sheets of fine grit to it. Same as above.

If you find any low spots, you need to find a machinist with a good surfacing machine that knows how to prep for Cometics using substandard fastening arrangements.

I can see blasting the chambers to have a nice surface to do your valve job, but after milling the heads. C'mon

Yeah I am not too happy. I will be sending them back to get resurfaced, but that means thicker gaskets in my particular case. Just another day in the life of a buick owner.

Why ? Where are your chamber cc's? Since they have already been milled it shouldn't take more than .003 thousandths to clean it up

Back