You can type here any text you want

Heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bossman

I did a search on heads but really couldn't find anything that answers my question. Being a previous Chevy person, I could name a half dozen sets of heads, how good they are and their flow rates. but draw a complete blank on the Buicks. Are the stock heads on my 83 a sore point or are they adequate for most of what we do?

Is there a casting number on them? The 8445 heads are the ticket. But the other tall port heads still can be ported.

Throw most of what you know about the SBC out of head for now. :)

Get the car running perfect with no knocking, then up the boost till it knocks, then get rid of that knock and up the boost again. Repeat if necessary. This will get you much further than a head swap.

At some point in the future, you will want to do heads. The stock heads are pretty good. Porting will help a lot. The next steps are CNC machined stock heads from Champion ($) or Aluminum heads from either Champion or TA Performance (coming soon).

The CNC and aluminum heads are probably not worth the money until you have a fast-fast car. I won't pull the heads off just to port them. Wait till they are off for another reason (engine rebuild, blown headgasket, etc.)

Back