You can type here any text you want

Hear Turbo Spool

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HighDesert-T

Okay, I am new to this Turbo thing. I just got done cleaning 20 years of grime and gunk out of the carb and off the motor. Replaced all the air filter elements too. You don't even want to know how dirty they all were. Just a crying shame. Well, she can breath now and that is a good thing.

On to the questions.

1. Should you be able to build boost while in park? For instance should your boost meter change while in park and reving the motor?

2. The secondaries on this carb, are they some kind of Vac controlled? Computer controlled? Or what? When I kick down on it while in Park they will not open. Is this Normal?

Please be patient guys, this is all new to me and want this car to have the respect on the street that it should.

THanks.

Originally posted by HighDesert-T

On to the questions.

1. Should you be able to build boost while in park? For instance should your boost meter change while in park and reving the motor?

No, the turbo needs a load on it to build boost. Put it in drive (with nothing in front of you) and push hard on the brake, now slowly add rpm's, at around 1600-1900 you should start to hear the turbo start to whistle

2. The secondaries on this carb, are they some kind of Vac controlled? Computer controlled? Or what? When I kick down on it while in Park they will not open. Is this Normal?

More like vac, they are not CC. Try to open them with the car off and warm(level on passenger side will stop them from opening cold) Get Doug Roe's book on Q-jets

Please be patient guys, this is all new to me and want this car to have the respect on the street that it should.

THanks. [/B]

Get a good boost/vac gauge, check my web site for some of my mistakes(it's a slow work inprogress), but most important READ B4Blacks site (LOTS of GREAT STUFF)

Thanks I will try the "brake and add power". I did notice that they secondaries were easier to open after it was warmed up, then when it was cold. Just to me you should be able to hear the secondaries kick in.

Thanks for the tips.

I have had four instances when the secondaries would not open up for different reasons. Without the secondaries, 6 psi is about max.

With the car cold, work the throttle. You should see the seconadry linkage move. Look at the end of the shaft for a slot. The slot won't move becuase there is a lever and the other side stopping it. The linkage and shaft are tied together by a spring.

With the engine hot, or by moving the fast idel cam, the lever will be out of the way and then the shaft is free to move.

The air valves (upper butterflies) open by vacuum. Make sure they are not binding.

Back