You can type here any text you want

Help from the Pro's(87 GN)?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6-Sauce

Hey guys, I wondering if someone can help me out, Where's the timing chain located on the 1987 grand national( Is it in the diff, because I want to change the oil in the diff and I heard that the factory timing chain is made out of plastic plus it could be 21 years old).Kirban performance's got one that's better then factory. Just got the car a couple of months ago, don't know if it was ever replaced. The car shifts perfect, But when u floor it, it's like u gotta almost led off just so she can fly. Everything is stock accept the ajustable fuel pressure regulator, it's hot-wired(which fuel pump I don't know.
even the exhasult is stock and turbo. U think it has to do with the overdrive(tranny-hopefully not). Or maybe the timing chain or the rear lock-up's. If any of the Pro's with these dream cars can give me advice, I'm listening

thx

Ps- she's ceritfied already give her a good tune, car was scaned all sensors working, new ac-delco r44ts plugs,new MSD(super conductor wires), new ac-delco fuel filter, changed oil(mobil 1 10w30), new air filter(stock compartment), new gm pcv valve, justed ordered a new mass air-flow sensor(rebuilt stock), and the mass-air flex duct(from GM)new. and recently installed 160 degree themostat.

that's it so far?

its definately not in the rear diff... ;) its inside the front of the engine behind the front cover... if you've never done a front cover/water pump before, take it somewhere and have someone else do it...

and if you really want to make this thing fly get a scanmaster so you can monitor everything... dont want to be changing things out and then blindly "tuning"...

the easiest and cheapest things you can do for these cars is a scanmaster, Turbo Tweak chip, and adjustable wastgate actuator (with a boost gauge where you can see it NOT the stock one on the dash...) and an exhaust...

$500 dollars worth of junk and fresh fluids and you'll be in the 12s...

Thx for answering bro, But the turbo-tweak chip might be too advance for my stock injectors, I think. And what do u mean by the front cover. Maybe the intake(air leak) I'm very new to the 3.8 sfi turbo? It must be something but what? I want her to run perfect STOCK before any upgrades, and still want to change the oil in the diff

ps- No junk on this one, it's the last year of the GN(GRAND NATIONAL, might aswell give it the respect it derserves)-nothing but love!

Ps- flushed out coolant, added new regular green coolant( 160 stat, coolant just above add mark when cool, new alum. transmission pan and gasket and filter and oil(there ain't no mission without the transmission).

A timing chain is in the engine.It connects crankshaft to the camshaft in the front of an engine.As for the turbo tweek chip it can be bought for any size injectors.They are made just for your set up.As for the trans shifting late it could be many things.It sounds like you dont have alot of experance with working on cars.Theres nothing wrong with that but i would take the car to somebody that knows what he is doing to change the chain and look into why the trans shifts late.

Thx for answering bro, But the turbo-tweak chip might be too advance for my stock injectors, I think. And what do u mean by the front cover. Maybe the intake(air leak) I'm very new to the 3.8 sfi turbo? It must be something but what? I want her to run perfect STOCK before any upgrades, and still want to change the oil in the diff

ps- No junk on this one, it's the last year of the GN(GRAND NATIONAL, might aswell give it the respect it derserves)-nothing but love!

Ps- flushed out coolant, added new regular green coolant( 160 stat, coolant just above add mark when cool, new alum. transmission pan and gasket and filter and oil(there ain't no mission without the transmission).

Where are you in Ontario?? We have at leat 50 Very Knowledgeable guys in the province that can help you & Not to Be Rude but you need some direction with this car! Please!! go to TurboBuicks.com - TurboCharged Message Board Turbo Buick Grand National, T-Type, Turbo TransAm & enter the Buick Racers in Toronto Section where we all hang out. TRUST ME!! Do it for your car & for your learning curve with it. You WILL NOT BE SORRY!! Lots of great people that had these cars as long as anyone out there. Had mine sine 88 & some others are ahead of me in this dept.
Cheers!!

How many miles on the clock, you may be at a place you need a spring cleaning & other things first. Take Just A Six advice and seek out help from others, you will save money and have a better running car.

Guys thx for your guidence, I found somebody in Ontario. Ken from National Performance a really good guy and straight up with the prices. It's got 74,000 miles on it. Originally a texas car, very solid and clean.

I've known Ken since maybe 89. Ken is good, pretty fair but others are as well. Go with where you feel comfortable.

Gnttype.org is a great site to read and learn about these cars, they have all types of info. But dont get me wrong this site is bangin too.

The car shifts perfect, But when u floor it, it's like u gotta almost led off just so she can fly.

I would get a scanmaster cause the engine might be detonating/pinging at wide open throttle. Very common with a stock car, stock chip has too much ignition timing for modern fuel! You could also have a melted, cracked, broken, or blown off vacuum/boost line coming off the turbo compressor causing overboosting and detonation as well. Dont want to blow a head gasket too soon;)

Hopeful Ken or others can get her fixed up for you.

John

Back